Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Arty Pie

September 6, 2015

"Rest, Mom!"
I guess there is really no rest here on earth, especially when you simply go to the closet for something simple, and you realize that with all of the tossing out, you still have more than will fit.

Well, it fits, but not like in an 'Anthropologie display" kind of way.

Then a sit down is required, with some mental re-organizing. Sometimes I wonder if it is a blessing or a curse.

This morning we went back to Genesis. You know, the start of it all. Yes, when you grow up in church, you pretty well know Genesis, right?

Actually one of the really exciting things about reading God's Word is that it never is really old, and as many times as  you read something, you can always discover something new.

Interestingly, as some struggled with "in what order did God do what and how to I remember it?"....I found that really simple.  Perhaps it is because that is the way I taught landscape painting (among other things)..."Order of Creation" I called it.

New today for me though was actually thinking about the reasoning behind the order and how the happenings of the first three days were necessary for the second three days (of Creation.)

Planning. Ahead.     I would call it.
Strategic. Thinking.   Karin would call it.

Practical, I imagine was God's thinking.

Never one for doing unnecessary work, I like to plan it out in my head and hopefully discover what won't work before I dig in.

So here I am with dishes and baking stuff covering the nicely decorated table that was cleared of a few minutes ago.  At 9 PM.  Eesshh! This is what happens when one is left to their own devices!

It probably happened because I started polishing silver. That little project is ending up an a nice tidy bag with a lovely note to one of my favorite thrifts.....(I have two...New to You (TMA) and Goodwill)     The note says, "Enough with the polishing, already. May God richly bless the person who finishes the job so you can sell it to someone who has no clue what polishing will be needed. Please enjoy it as much as I did when it was nice and shiny!"

And the post about pondering.....well, you can only ponder over just so much silver.

At the moment, the challenge at hand is PIE.

Roger's Lesson:  Now tell me why you have seven pie plates when you do not even like to make pie? When would you really even make seven pies at one time?  And if you had that need, you cold call Mrs. Smith. Hers comes with a plate.  Maybe just keep one. 

True enough.  There must be a reason for all of this. I will call it inheritance.  However....my girls will not inherit these pie plates. They do not bake pies either.

So.....who among my relatively close in distance friends has a need for a number of gently loved glass pie plates?  Speak up quickly, for I will be making a trip to Oviedo on Saturday, pie plates in hand!

*Green Anchor Hocking x 3     ** Corning ware white / cornflower   - I would call it a thin pie!

The two on top in the photo - for mini pies, I think, but for the moment, I am thinking they would make really cute paint palettes !

Two simple clear glass ones.....I'll keep til Christmas. If no pie by then, out they go!

Whew!  Plan is in my head....now to go and act on it and create new space in my pantry!
Loved that Genesis lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment