Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Day Trips

July 30, 2015

It was another early morning. Blood work - labs. That means that I have to be careful what I eat before I go in, and that I better eat something when I get out - or I will be flat on the floor.

I guess the DD down on Kaley was not all that busy at 4:30 in the morning when Roger stopped in, but it surely was too much for me.

On the drive back home though, I kept thinking about cruellers. French Cruellers. Roger introduced me to them a long time ago. Oh. My. Goodness.

I'm not a particular donut fan, unless you put a French Crueller in front of me.


So....as I drove west on the ole 408, all I could think of was the morning day trips we would take on his days off, and how they always started with a stop at DD - for his coffee and old fashioned donut and my hot tea and French Crueller. Sometimes two.

Sweet memories. I made it in and out of DD without undue stress and for the most absurd moment shortly after, there I was driving along boo-hooing like a baby!  I realized that I had just passed Health Central and noticed the new emergency room they are building.

What makes these things come over you anyway? I pass that hospital all the time now and life goes on, but today, it was just overwhelming - it was like living that day all over again. I don't even know what brought it on, but once again, God brought me through it and I somehow managed to make it to my turns without hitting anything. Tears stinging in the eyes makes driving a bit tough!

Roger's Lesson:  Memories come up and you have to take control. You can let the sad moments pass if you determine to think of something wonderful that God gave you that will fill the void. 

I knew it....I could almost hear him say it. And yes, I did. I thought back of those DD days and those day trips, and how that period of time in our lives was the start of something more wonderful than I ever would have imagined. God's blessings still far exceed the pains.

Maybe, day by day, bit by bit, I am figuring it out.
I do keep trying.

1 comment: