Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tending

July 28, 2015

For some reason I awoke with energy this morning. My doctor said that would happen on August 1 or shortly thereafter.  I am going to call this a blessing from God because the energy came a few days early. 

I mean, it HAS to be from God....it was EARLY in the morning!  I was up and moving before good ole Chief even realized it was daylight!

It is not even 10 AM and I feel like I have done about as much as I typically do in the space of a day! WOW!  I like this. And yes, I will power nap. I don't want this feeling to go away!

As I reflect back on the last few hours, stepping from my tidy and dreamy bedroom and passing through the garage to get ready for the good ole Waste-Pro guys........ahh.....bliss changed to UGHHHHHHHH AGHHHHHHHH.....pretty quickly.

How very quickly I had forgotten that garage sale prep was going on in my recently tidied up garage.

But, this too shall pass, and I really would not trade it for the world. You see, one of the joys of living very near your children and grandchildren is that grand ideas can pop up at just about any ole time.

I'm not quite sure how creating a gift wrap center in order to conquer the closet overload actually turned into "let's have a garage sale....look, more stuff!"..... but the kiddos are doing it and my only sacrifice is the garage for a few days.  I love it even better because we have a party to attend at the end, which means......THERE IS AN END!

It is amazing to me how much stuff we accumulate in such a short span of time. Things will be a lot lighter at 315, but there is still so much more - and yet, it is used, and often. Incredible actually.  I will forever stand in amazement of how Roger came into a marriage with precious few items of clothing and not much more stuff than his beloved painting of John Kennedy - then he lived another 42 years, full - rich - blessed - living fully, and exited with not more stuff than he came home with.   Does that mean that for 42 years that he just bought stuff for ME?     (I do not that was the problem. He bought gift cards once they were invented - and vacations)

I also find it remarkable that when I tote stuff off to Goodwill - or call for a pickup from my other fav - TMA's New to You (they pick up) - that within a few hours, I don't even remember what left.  Boy - we need all that stuff, don't we?

The most fun I have had in this past 'organizational blitz' though, is the interaction of my loved ones in the process. The sorting, the purging. Not just Juci pulling it out, organizing it, and putting it back.

I asked Emily what she was going to do about her closet when I was gone. (some how I must have said 'expired' at some point for they recently started using that term too)  She did not want to talk about it, but I said that we always have to be prepared, so she thought and said....."well, I guess I'll have to figure it out, but for now, I like when you do it. Can we play a game?"

Jacob on the other hand, is perfectly fine with Juci coming to college occasionally - or often - to organize him. He told me that it would not embarrass him a bit.

Well - it is nice to be needed!

I was headed in a different direction, I think, because I posted a plant photo. I was thinking about my garden, and listening to Hector on the tractor. Lovely!  I guess that will be for another day.

Roger's Lesson:  You like to tend to things. You always have. Your garden is nice but souls need tending more than plants do.  Collect, if it gives you joy, but purge the excess often. Don't let stuff consume you. Tend to those souls you love first and always. It means so much more. 

Yes. The garden dirt and sweat (liquid fat, a dear student calls it)  have been washed away and the lavender has refreshed and relaxed this now achey body - but I would not trade this feeling.  So often, God speaks most clearly when I am in the garden.

Next up, snack, power nap and then to see what additional blessings God brings my way today. Keep your eyes open....God is here in the most mundane and ordinary things of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment