Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

3 AM ?

I can never get enough of the full moon nights.
So often I find myself waking up during the night and running to a window to see where the moon is in its travels across the sky.

I love looking out in the middle of the night and seeing the shadows that are thrown across the lawn.  (florida lawn = an assortment of things that are green, which, when mowed, look even - like a lawn)

Early in the evening of this full moon - it was still rising in the east. It was 9:30 or so and I had to take the dog out for an 'emergency' walk.  As much as I love watching the full moon from indoors, I found that I did not have the same feeling while outdoors.

The weather was wonderful. This was the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox. In other words, it was a springtime moon, and right before Easter.

Florida is not too muggy (humid) this time of year, especially at night. It was a nice walk.....until....

I live in a nice woodsy area. Big trees. Hoot Owls. Hawks.  Eagles.  Things that fly and make interesting noises.   And 'skeeters - that land softly and leave a sting. Bothersome!

And things that fly and make no noise.

Yes, bats.
Ok - it was not this many.  I snagged this image from somewhere.
It felt like this many though.

My phone camera was tucked in my pocket. No effort at all was made to take a photo.

I had to hold my shirt up around my neck.

And hold onto the leash, and my hiking stick.
And try to walk really really fast so that I could get

INSIDE!

Why do bats creep me out?

They are odd little creatures.  I understand that they are very helpful with mosquito control.
I like that, especially living in Florida.
I don't hang out outdoors at night an awful lot, so they don't bug me most of the time.
I am not even aware of them most of the time.

Perception. The movies made them out like little devil animals that suck the blood out of you.
I guess that is where I got the idea to cover my neck. Dracula?

Roger would sit outside in the swing any time of the day - or night - for as long as he wanted to. He never cared about mosquitos - or bats.     I was out of there at the first buzzzzz.      He would tell me nothing was going to 'get me."   I am sure he was right, but I would ease away by offering to go bake brownies.

Who could turn that down, right?!

Roger's Lesson:    You miss out on some of the most wonderful moments in life when you let your perception of something drive your decisions.  It is better to learn about something and then know if you would be in danger or not. 

OK. I can accept that.
However....I will still stick with the 'opposites attract' concept.
He liked out. I liked in.
Especially in Florida.
Especially in the dark.

But I still love full moon nights, and I think of Roger with every single one of them.
My favorite place in the house is by the front windows, around 3 AM, when the moon is directly overhead.  The massive camphor tree casts the most remarkable shadows on the green lawn. The swing still hangs there - as if waiting for it's owner to come out and sit a while under those grand, spreading limbs.  It is one of those scenes that I really ought to capture on canvas.

By 3 AM the bats would be gone - back to sleeping - mosquito food wiped out for the night.
One of these days I want to venture out around 3 AM and just sit a while.

Maybe in May. There will be another full moon.

I will probably wake up Chief (the dog) and take him with me. He will be very puzzled, but I will know that Chief will keep me alert, protect me, comfort me.

If I believed in reincarnation........
well....some things are just too strange to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment