Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Marching!

 April 24, 2015

It is the craziest things that make me miss Roger so much. Tonight was one of them.

Second grade program. He was into whatever Emily was doing at school and this year her grade did the patriotic program. (Yes, April - weird, but I guess it was Tax time!)

The kids did a great job. Roger would have been cracking up watching all of those little kids on stage.  I tend to watch with the
"Director's Eye" -  you know, who is paying attention, who is singing, who is trying to tell the kids around them what they should be doing.  You work so long for the show and you just want everything to be perfect.

One thing I learned along the way is that nothing is ever 100% perfect so you might as well plan for the best and go with the flow.

Having put down the "Director's Hat," I actually watched the show tonight in a much more relaxed phase of life. (Or maybe I was just tired anyway and needed to relax?)

The curtain barely opened and the PARENTS in the audience were waving at their kid like crazy - calling out their names, etc.  Oh man, talk about getting a bunch of kids off task!  But the music teacher clearly planned for that. She is likely used to it.

Emily started off the show by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.  I was thrilled to see this, in this a-political world we think our public schools are involved in. Quite different here, I was happy to see.
She knew her lines well, was not afraid of the microphone, and actually knew everyone else's lines as well. That's our girl!

The stage was all decked out in Red, White and Blue and the kids were all dolled up and took us on a tour of American History in under an hour.   They even had Jackie Kennedy, pumps and pill box hat included! And Michelle Obama "EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!"

I caught myself singing to myself as they sang those beloved songs, some of which I had almost forgotten....We Gather Together to Ask the Lord's Blessings....for Thanksgiving. ... all the verses too!

You're a Grand Old Flag - Indeed!  And their portion where they honored servicemen and veterans was touching.

When they sang Fifty Nifty United States - from 13 original colonies -....you are singing along, right? We caught ourselves again. Long term memory intact!

Our favorite part though, made us think of someone very special to us.  The US Navy Fight Song.
The class stepped to the front of the stage and started marching - side by side.  I'm not sure if Emily had been watching a Shirley Temple movie or if the steps were her originals.  She marched like she meant it though! Skirt flying, arms pumping, knees high! For a really long time too!

It might not have been what the teacher wanted, but she was clearly a hit!  I wonder if they put her center stage so they can keep an eye on her or if they do it because she is so very entertaining.

Roger would have been cracking up and enjoying every minute! I could almost see him sitting there with his big shoulders pumping up and down as he tried to contain his belly laugh, his body shaking all over.  He would have had her all excited about ice cream before she ever left the stage.

He would have congratulated her teacher for working so hard with the kids.

Roger's Lesson:  Enjoy the activity and don't worry so much about the process, or the perfection you strive for. You don't have to do that anymore, so just enjoy the kids. 

Yes, I think I got that one.
I did enjoy every moment of it.
And I was very thankful that I did not have a hot flash in that very warm cafeteria.  I know - automatic air conditioning. It goes off at 6 each night so it saves energy. Nighttime activity or not.

I'm thankful that Emily has teachers who love her a lot and are helping her as she grows into a beautiful young lady. Seeing her on stage made me have flashbacks of Kristin. I don't think Kristin was quite as energetic on stage, but she was adorable just like Emily!  Roger would have said so, too!

Anchor's Away!  Emily marched for you MC!


No comments:

Post a Comment