Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

H2 View

June 2, 2015

It was one of those paperwork days, first of the month. And silence can often be deafening - and make you fall asleep.

So there is this wonder of all wonders called, TV. Digital input. There are just too many channels. Somehow I need to learn the Fine Art of 'favorites' so I can get it down to about 12 channels. That is more than enough.  I can't figure out the difference between HD and not HD anyway.

Guide. I know how to use that. All I wanted was something for background, not something I would tune into so deeply that I would be doing paperwork again tomorrow. H2.   I guess that means history.

Fascinating.  I can't find it now, but I think I stopped surfing on something called "Proving Jesus."  These shows are risky because the world view is not necessarily mine and a lot of it sounds like a lot of hooey anyway.  But, I gave it a shot. I could listen as 'background auditory" after all.

Roger had this show that he loved - I never can find it. It was called "Naked Archaelologist" and we watched it together all the time. It was a Jewish fella who would take one little thing and set out to prove it wrong - always something about the Bible. He would come up with all the ways to prove things wrong, then come out with never being able to prove it wrong.  It was quite interesting.

I did not listen to the shows today closely enough to know all of the background, but they appeared to do a similar thing - scientists trying to disprove things, yet not quite being able to disprove, even if they did not say that they could prove something.  Wide variety of topics too.

And this has carried on into the night. I am captivated.

One of the shows took passages from the Bible and explored how they would have been explained during the times in which they were being written. Often quite different from the way we interpret things today.  Very good food for thought.

I did come away being glad that I am not driven to be a scientist. Nor am I drawn to having to have everything 'proven.'  I am glad that some people are, for it made for much more interesting programming than what the networks run.

I also enjoyed a lot of what they talked about from the Middle Ages - Dark Ages - Renaissance, periods which I find fascinating anyway.

I also thought about what Roger would be saying had we been watching together.

Roger's Lesson:  All of this information is fascinating. You should want to know everything you can about Jesus and His life and His teachings. BUT don't stop at knowing about Him. You'll miss it all that way. Be sure you know HIM.  It's not the knowledge, or the religious beliefs that are the most important. It is the relationship.   Without that, you've really got nothing. 

And I totally agree. I love the learning, but I love the knowing so much more.  And as much as I know that I have to tend to the paperwork (which I did not finish,) I know that He has so much more to teach me than a pile of papers ever will.

And as much as I resist the resting, I know that is where I find Him - every single time.

When you need to heal, embrace the rest periods. And don't waste that opportunity to know more about, and to Know, Christ.  Best blessing ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment