Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, June 5, 2015

Just Marvin

June 3, 2015

It was hard on my back, but I got to do something that I don't get to do so often lately. I baked some cupcakes and decorated them for a very special man.

Of course, he won't see them, nor taste them.  He is seeing Jesus and tasting glory. He lived a really great and interesting life. He was one of my WWII heroes.   Everyone I ever meet who fought in WWII is my hero in some way.

These veterans fought hard for freedom and many have lived long, but they are passing too quickly.  They become those WWII statistics. Daddy was one. Papa was one. Marvin is one.

But they are far more than statistics to those who knew them.
Unique among these vets is that they went out and did a job, rather quickly too, as wars go in contemporary history.  They had a mission and it had to do with eliminating evil - and quickly.  They stayed focused. They got the job done so they could go home to their families. They kept the evil 'on the other side of the pond.'

And we should all be grateful.

They did not have to deal with social media, or too many non-military elected officials trying to call the shots. Lucky them.  It is much harder for our guys and gals on the front lines today.

But they also did not call themselves heroes and actually denied it if someone else called them a hero.
That is a true hero. Someone who just does what needs to be done for the good of mankind.

During Marvin's Celebration of Life service, I learned a lot about him that I never knew. Isn't it interesting the way we never really know anything close to the 'whole picture' of a person's life until we attend their funeral. I guess that is normal, because we all cross paths in different ways and for different reasons.

I learned that while Marvin had a lot of interaction with the US Military during his career, he really only served in uniform for a short period of that long career. Yet, that is where we connected most. I guess that is because I have a special place in my heart for WWII Vets.  I am thankful for that connection.

Nurnberg is where/how we connected. I took a group of students to Germany a few years ago and he was always interested in those travels. He traveled all over the world during his career. He was one of Roger's 'watchers.'  Roger kept an eye on him every Sunday during church services, just in case he fell ill, or needed something.  Roger had his 'precious saints' that he checked on all the time.  He was always on the lookout for someone who might have a need. (Me? Pretty much oblivious....I know, sad to say - however it was really safer for those saints to not have me on-call.)

Nürnberg was a surprise stop during our trip so I did not get to 'study up' before departure, but I surely enjoyed taking it all in and chatting with Marvin when I got home.  He was stationed there.
My tour director grew up there when the American soldiers were still on peace-keeping patrol.
I think it is so fascinating that they likely were there at the same time!

You never know why someone crosses your path, but God does. You never know why you will have some random connection with someone, which draws them into your life - generally so you can learn something from them. And for me, I continued to learn, after he stepped into eternity.

Roger's Lesson:  Don't try to learn everything new for yourself. Learn from those who walked before you. God let you cross paths for a reason. And crossing paths - remember that when you were in 3rd grade and I was a firefighter with a friend down the street from your house - we probably crossed paths too - and didn't even know it. But God did. 

Yes, and that other saint - Marvin's sweet wife.  Without Roger watching over his aging saints - I would never have met her either. No one is going to replace Marvin, but then, no one really replaces anyone, for God made us each unique.  And those who walk through this life with that precious sweet spirit and confidence in their eternal destiny...... well, I will always think that they are the most irreplaceable of them all.

And I am so glad when I get the opportunity to learn from them.  The greatest thing Marvin taught all who knew him though - was not about the military at all. It was not about what you do or where you go or who you know on this earthly walk of ours.  It is about one relationship. One relationship this is more important than all others - and if you get that one right, it will be reflected in all the other things you do.

Yes, it is no wonder that Roger was so fond of Marvin. Common missions, common destinies!

And for Margaret - 72 years together, and now without Marvin. That will be hard to adapt to, but knowing He is well and whole and with Jesus will make it easier.

And I really liked the comment about God making him wait because He really did not need a remote controlled pearly gate.  Yes, I love that while we may not know everything about what Heaven will be like, it is just fine if we imagine it to be like the best of what we know on earth - and then a bazillion times better!

Eternal destiny - most important decision of your lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment