Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bogged Down

Today's discovery leads me to the earth shattering reality that while we often organize closets and other spaces, there is a reason that we rarely, if ever, totally clean them out. Now I know why this closet has not been painted for 30 years! 

I happen to be an uber-organized being and other than the number of trips it took to get things out of the closet, everything was nice and tidy in ROY G BIV order.  No need for before and after shots here! But goodness! The stuff! 

Watching these HGTV shows always inspires me to organize something else. But really, is that the best use of my time on this earthly journey? Roger, recipient of an orderly life, would say "not really."  He really did not require so much of my organizational time. His belongings only needed organizing because I bought him stuff, therefore it all had to fit in it's proper home.  Left to his own devices, he would have had only three pairs of shoes (two, shiny black. One for work and one to break in on Sundays so they would be ready for work) and a pair of sneakers. Sneakers, only because we finally got him to stop wearing black shiny shoes to Disney - although that only happened in the last five years.    He would have had two pairs of work pants and maybe two for Sunday, but would have preferred only one.  Two pairs of jeans, ONLY Levi 517s though. Seven polos would have been extreme and 2 running shorts and tees would have been fine. Stiffly starched button down collar short sleeved only dress shirts - two would be fine, maybe three. Socks and skivvies, of course.   What else would a man need, right? A jacket! Only if forced upon him. 

Those old houses with the teeny tiny closets - ah, perfect for Roger. A hook behind the door would even have been fine.   Yes, there are people who live that simply.   

I balanced him out.  

Today I am not so sure that was a good balance.  One thing for sure, all of this stuff is not going back into my newly painted closet.  I think part of the closet problem is the multiple sizes problem. Why do we need a new wardrobe for every size that we become?  My new method is going to be to pick a size and keep those clothes  - the size I need to be.  Keep minimal of any other size and refuse to buy anything else except something in the newly appointed perfect size.  In theory, I would then wear the same clothing over and over until I was pretty tired of it and got to that perfect size. (Not perfect as in magazine perfect either)   OK....that is probably a dream. 

The good thing is that I don't have a gazillion bucks tied up in wardrobe ~ which also contributes to the  problem, in all likelihood! I can actually afford to toss things to the fine folks at Goodwill! Share the joy! 

Roger would just be shaking his head at all of this and hoping the bed would be cleared off by dinner time.  He would also be lending a hand with this miserable painting experience as long as I kept the coffee fresh and his cup filled. (His multi-fill, paper only, Dunkin' Donuts cup.)   I am almost tempted to brew a pot just so I can pretend that it is him painting and not me.  (Wish I knew the recipe!) 

Roger's Lesson:  "You look beautiful when you wear your favorite color and it can be the same outfit every day. You don't need all of that stuff - after all - you can't take it with you, so don't let it bog you down on the journey."    

Yes, I have heard that, time and again. He was right. 

Do I have the power to change? We shall see. 

Break over. Back to the brushes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment