Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tangled

For some reason I woke up at 6:15 this morning. That has not happened in a while. I was wide awake, so I got dressed and started the checklist. Garbage day, Recycle day.  

It is June in Florida and typically hot, but this morning was breezy and not particularly muggy. I found myself grabbing the garden gloves and hedge trimmer. I guess they were somewhat quiet tools for the morning.

It was refreshing to be back in the garden. The flowers are abundant, the few varieties that I seem to be able to successfully grow.  My new gardening philosophy is: buy plants on the 90% off rack. If they live where  you plant them, then buy more even if they are not on clearance.  So far it seems to be working. Bush daisies, pentas, and geraniums are plentiful and colorful right now. Even the bleeding heart has not totally bloomed out. What an appropriate plant for this year. 

I got ready with the hedge trimmer, for the overgrown flowers, not hedges and fired it up. Then I was startled by the red cardinal that flew right out of the flower bed, past me, and to the fig tree.  Pausing for a bit, I just watch him and he watched me. Cardinals always make me think of Roger. We loved watching them together and they have been so numerous this year. It is like all of the cardinals in town decided to visit here for the springtime.  

After a while, I got back to work, but kept glancing over my shoulder to check on the cardinal. He was still there, patiently waiting. Raking, filling cans with trimmings, picking myself up off the ground when the big lime green cord tripped me up....the morning passed and then it occurred to me that if Roger were home this morning he would have had a lesson for me.

Roger's Lesson:  Sweetie, don't have those rakes and cords dragging all over the place. You could trip and fall. And you really need to have a spotter in the garden with you because you don't always stay on task.

Ha! Some things never change. I guess there are just some lessons this girl is never going to learn. 

He's still right though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment