Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fed Ex Calling!

Is staying busy the secret to making time pass quickly? I don't know, but I think it makes you not focus on but one thing at a time. After keeping my nose glued to the computer screen in order to meet my photo album deadline - last and final - I finally rose to the surface for a breath of fresh air. Whew! That was intense!

Off to the next item on the to-do list. Roger and I had made quite  a hefty one in January, so I have plenty to keep me busy for quite some time. I put the album in the back of my mind, it takes a while to produce it, after all.

Notification - don't I just love email?!  A package has been delivered to your front door by FedEx.  Interestingly, I was sitting right in the family room and heard NOTHING. I'm not quite sure what this says about my hearing. Nonetheless, I checked and YESSSSSS!  A big ole box of books!

And of course, I had to have a moment to sit quietly because in past years, Roger has picked up that big ole box for me. He has grabbed the knife to open it, and we have enjoyed the first copy of the book, together.  Bittersweet, this delivery.

He only looked at a few photos on the computer. He preferred to see the book and read the story.
BIG MISTAKE ROGER!   Well, at least we got to share the photos from Normandy and Pointe du Hoc.   Actually, at this moment in time, I doubt that it matters much to him. He has more wonderful things to focus on.

But in this lifetime, on this earthly journey, what in the world could be more wonderful than re-living a wonderful trip to France with some most amazing students.  I am blessed that he always wanted me to travel.  A lot of husbands would not have said 'sure, be gone for two weeks while I fend for myself."    As I also came to learn, the girls got a whole lot of one to one time with their daddy while I was away. I think we will always be so thankful for that.

I'll fix a cup of tea and sit down with my book. I will probably imagine what he would be saying and how he would be telling me more about Normandy than I already learned. I will think about how often we talked about our own trip to the places where his dad served in WWII and I will miss him more than I typically do on a daily basis.

And I will hear him, his lesson:  "Kiddo, you just have to make your plans and keep doing the things that you love and that make you grow. You can't just sit around."  

" Kiddo" - his dad, Papa, called everyone kiddo...I don't even know what made me think of that.

Maybe Roger and Papa are chatting about Normandy today.
This I know for sure, what ever it is that you do in Heaven until the trumpet sounds and all of the believers are called up there, I know it is good and I know it is happy, and I know it has a purpose which is to glorify God.

And that is pretty much what we need to keep in practice down here....


1 comment: