Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Exit - Stage Left



It was powerful. It always is.

I've lost count of how many times I have seen the theatre production of Les Miserables.   It is by far my favorite Broadway production.

There are many things in life that I can call 'a God thing." Most of the time it is about timing. It is something that takes place, or where things fall into place, when it is without my own intervention or plan. And it is the right thing. I think that when you try to live life giving God the space to call the shots, interesting things can happen along the way.

It has been an interesting week and I really needed something different. I had been around the energy of young people - it invigorates me for sure. Conversations, a sell-out, cancelled tickets, opportunity.  Right place at the right time? I don't know. I do know that God knew what I needed and He provided in a most remarkable way.

I love my theater people. Roger did not like 'assembly buildings' as he called them. He did not mind being there, he did mind being trapped in a seat and not near an exit door. Many times I wish that I had understood earlier the 'why' of it all - it was not about the shows at all. It was about being available should there be an emergency need. I did remember to notice the exit signs in the theatre. I can't say that even once I looked around to see if there was a need. Remarkable. Yes, he was.

We have great theatre productions in Orlando. This one at the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre was outstanding. I love the intimate size of the theatre - you are face to face with the actors. Yes, Les Miserables is about revolution (as in The French) and love (all kinds) but it captivates me because it is also about the enduring struggle and hope within the human spirit. It is an amazing story of a man's redemption and what it looks like to repent - turn, and go in a different direction, and even the struggle in doing so when life can treat you so unfairly.

The end of the show pretty much got to me this time. Of course there are lots of people dying in this show. From the start, actually, and then in the revolution battle, and finally...at the end when the lead character Valjean is dying....oh boy, there go those tears again. The process, the begging 'noooo!'  the grief and sadness. I had not ever quite felt that emotion before, or at least not in such an intense way.
And there was no way to escape - to leave - I was in the center of a row, not near an aisle. I had to push through.

But when you push through - and so often people give up before pushing through - but when you do, there is this remarkable joy. Not without sadness, to be sure, but still a joy. The way they presented Heaven was so touching. The characters were wearing similar clothing as when they were 'in the world' but it was white. Valjean's hair had changed and his shirt was a brilliant white. The tone of their voices changed. It was the same song that they sang during the 'revolution' battle - with a fierceness and determination, loud, strong, bold. But in the finale - different.

They were pleading. They were asking the audience to please join them, and if you were spiritually sensitive at all, you just knew that they were talking about the world as being about flesh and blood, but the real battle was the battle for your soul. Who would win? The powers of darkness? The One who offered redemption?

And in those moments I became very thankful, once again, that Roger made that choice while he walked in this world and I know that he is whole and free, truly free, in Heaven right now.

Roger's Lesson: When it comes to theatre, that is hard for me to figure out. But when it comes to assembly buildings - I can just bet that he would say, "Don't get trapped. Find the exit sign and follow the path to freedom."

And yes, he would also mean that there is a way of escape from the sadness and pain and hurt and discouragement in this world and you can choose it early in life or you can choose it late, but oh, by all means choose it! Jesus offers the only real way of escape, the only 'real' way to live.

Yes, Valjean was a good man with a good heart, as a young man. He stole a piece of bread, not for himself but for another and paid the price of chains and hard labor for almost two decades. Even after serving and deserving his freedom, Javert (police officer) chased him relentlessly simply because he, Javert, did not believe a man could truly change.   Enter the Bishop, who pointed Valjean to God and challenged him to live as an honest man, which he set out to do.  Through the chase and the ups and downs of life, he held true to his new faith, yet never really seemed to have confidence in the fact that it was for real and forever. (The sadness of feeling like working your way to salvation/redemption is necessary, rather than accepting Christ's free gift - no strings attached.)

Yet, in the end, he found the true peace he was always searching for - he finally realized that no one could take it away. And it was on his deathbed.

Oh how much we miss by not keeping the simple gift of salvation ...just simple. As humans we complicate it so very much.

Yes, many tears and yet a very good day. Tears of joy for the years of love I experienced with Roger, and for the knowledge that I will see him again. And tears of joy for the goodness that God has placed in my life, and still does - even through the hard times.

But with it all, there are tears of sadness for those I knew who are still searching, who still don't seem to have that assurance that God's offer of salvation / redemption is real - or that they don't even need it, or that they don't deserve it.  None of us deserve it. All of us need it.

So powerful - now to pick up that book again - Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. 
Don't wait too late to find love and give love - and know that the only true love is Christ's love. He is the only one who truly has the power to change a life. 

Want more?  


The lyrics of the finale are quite powerful when you read them with eternity in mind.

Listen, start at 3:15 but skip the images, just listen

(The process of dying-Fontaine calling Valjean from heaven - representative of 'St Peter" I suppose)
Come with me, the chains will never bind you
All your grief at last, at last behind you
Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy
    *Forgive me all my trespasses and lead me to your glory
Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation
Take my love, for love is everlasting
And remember the truth that once was spoken
That to love another person is to see the face of God

(By now Vajean has died and 'the saints' are meeting him and joining in song - the tone is pleading toward those still in the world"

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people
who are climbing to the light.

For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord
They will walk behind the plough-share
They will put away the sword

The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
when tomorrow comes!

I should have introduced Roger to ushering! He could have stood by the door that way and still enjoyed the show!  Wish there were do-overs! 



No comments:

Post a Comment