Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Always

Sure, sometimes it can seem elusive. Sometimes there are days when I just don't want to think, ore even do much of any thing. Sometimes I just enjoy the quiet and nothingness. 

Maybe enjoy is not the right word. 

If there are days when I feel down, ultimately, it is my own choice. I can choose to be down and grumpy - or I can choose to find joy in whatever passes my way.  Joy is harder sometimes. 

There was a time, back when the girls were little, when the trendy phrase was J.O.Y.   Roger liked it.  Jesus. Others. You.   Put things in that order as you pass through this earthly journey.  It is a simple little word, yet when put into practice, it changes things.

I'd say that 99.99 percent of the time I am not down in the dumps or gloomy. Over-tired at times, but I bring that on myself - but not really "un-joyful."   I rather think that joy is a lifestyle. I like to find joy in the simplest of things.  When I do that, I absolutely see God in everything! 

One of Roger's (MANY) nicknames was Jolly Roger - and I don't think it had anything to do with pirates. Jolly is an old fashioned word for happy - really happy. And he was, pretty much most of the time. 

One thing that people consistently tell me about him is that he always made them feel better - happier - joyful, even.  He lived it out. He definitely had a servant's heart and put the needs of others before his own most of the time.  And he was a petty happy person for all of the days of his life!

Roger's Lesson:  Don't do it backwards - Y-O-J ....it is not only hard to say, but when you put Y (yourself) first, it just complicates everything else in your life.

I think he pretty much nailed that one. 

I was thinking about the 'days of joy' going around Facebook. I enjoy reading the posts and each one makes me think of how blessed I am because those joy posts are also my joy posts.  Where do you start, and how do you put joyful things in order of importance - or value. I don't think you can.  I do think that if you face life being always aware of "the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living" - then life is joyful - in so many ways. 

And even when the days are quiet, and alone time is needed, it can still be joyful. Because joy is a choice and it is not dependent upon anyone but your own little self. And I am so thankful that because Jesus is central to my life, that joy is never ending. 

Regardless of whom  I am missing. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Judi, for this inspiring post. It is exactly what I needed today. Practicing JOY. :-)))

    ReplyDelete