Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, September 5, 2014

Tigers!

It is a rainy night and I was minding my own business. People from all over Central Florida were filtering in for dinner and the 'serving team' was ready, getting them seated, filling their beverage cups. 

No where in my mind was I thinking about football  -  until I saw the preacher.  Orange shirt.  Clemson.  Roger would have loved it. 

How did he say it? "This is my believin' shirt" - I think that is it.  Of course, as little as I know about football, I did know that it had to mean that Clemson had a big game tomorrow.  And if Roger had been with me, he probably would have had on an orange shirt too.   And if Clemson wins on Saturday, he would definitely have had on his  orange "stiffly starched' shirt on Sunday! For the preacher!

What is it? This football thing?  I see how it draws people together.  I guess it gives them something to cheer for collectively. I guess it gets you out of politics and the nitty-gritty ordinary stuff of life - for at least a little while.  Some people are so passionate about it and others can cheer and then go on their way. I can take it or leave it - as long as it does not require that I be in heat or extreme cold.  (Oh yes, I do remember those hot hot August football nights at TMA! - all for Marching Band!)

Though I won't remember to turn to a game tomorrow, I am sure that plenty of folks I know will be cheering for Georgia, Florida, FSU, UCF, UT,  'Bama, and yes, Clemson.  
Oh - and Baylor too - seems that every great Pastor I know has a favorite football team - that's interesting! 

Yes, it is quiet around my house this football season. I'll find plenty of DYI things to captivate me, but it won't be the same.  I will have control of the remote - if I want it.   I won't be in the kitchen keeping the snacks coming. I won't need to leave the room so Roger and Ron can talk football, and I can talk or sing as loud as I please.

Funny how the little things that used to be annoyances are now the things that you long for.  
It's like that old song - "You don't appreciate what you've got til it's gone." 

Roger's Lesson:  It's just football, but we like it. Join in or find something else to do. - ah, but don't get ticked off about it. It teaches something about life. 

Yes, object lessons perhaps.  Practice taking a punch so it does not take you out when you get hit.  I'll never get it but I guess I feel the same way about the theatre or an art museum or a concert.  

Truly, I am stretching for a spiritual lesson here. Maybe football lovers can help!
However,  it put some some pretty good friends together. 
So it can't be all bad! 

Now I'll flip over to JLTV (Jewish Life TV) and think about how we did love watching that together! 


No comments:

Post a Comment