Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Feast Prep

So skinny - and all that black hair in 1972!
Some things are just tradition.

I'll never forget Roger's very first 'holiday surprise.' We had been dating since June. October arrived and so did he one afternoon, in his green corvette, top removed. (it was a '68 Green Hard Top Convertible.)

I walked out into the driveway to see him standing beside the vet, filled to the brim with.....pumpkins! Proud as could be with his great surprise! 

Back in the day I did not have a camera in my hand at practically all times. I can still remember that day though. It is etched into my memory, though I had not thought of it in years.

 I had never - no NEVER - carved a pumpkin. He decided to show me how. I remember not finding it fascinating enough to ever want to do it again, and sadly, I don't remember ever carving pumpkins with the girls.

But when we had grandchildren around the corner - the pumpkin tradition returned! I'm glad it did too! We (girls) always laughed about it because whatever day the pumpkins arrived at Publix, they also arrived on Jacob and Emily's doorstep. The kids were always delighted and they always seemed to have a fun pumpkin carving party in the park at the end of October.   Most of the time it was cool enough in October that Ro-Ro's pumpkin could make it to the carving party.

One year I even joined them in the pumpkin carving. I did not mind the carving part so much, but the getting the goo out part - oh, ick! Thank goodness I stuck with it long enough to finish my Einstein, but once was enough for me!
Yes, it came a long way from that first pumpkin Roger helped me carve in 1972. 

Roger loved holidays and always seemed to have something that we tended to look at as absurd, that he connected with it. 





Roger's Lesson:    Why wait until October 1 when the pumpkins are ready and waiting in September - and if you can't decide on which one to buy - just fill up the car!  Spread the joy!

Roger certainly did that. He continually spread the joy. He made life memorable. He lived in the moment and embraced the holidays we celebrate. And he loved fall - because it meant winter would be here soon.

No one ever heard him complain about cold weather! 

Ah, but this fall would be different. How would we handle yet another special time without him. Mostly, we just go about our daily activities, but it is never the same. Never will be. 

But.....

Pumpkins arrived on October 1st this year. They were sitting on the porch, just waiting for Jacob and Emily to get home from school.  "Pumpkins from Heaven"  we called them this year.

Tradition.

There is something really special about tradition.
And about the people who embrace tradition.

It reminds me an awful lot about the traditions and feasts that the Hebrew people celebrated. God called them to do certain things in remembrance. I think it is a really good idea - to do things that make you remember. 

And our pumpkins will always make us remember that God gave us Roger, Dad, Ro-Ro, Uncle, Friend.... for a season. 
A season - and Roger loved something about every season, and we should continue to love it to.  
And these things should also make us think about the one who created celebrations in the first place - an earthly reminder of the greatest celebration of them all.....

That Heavenly feast at the Father's banquet table. 

Yes.....thanks Roger for teaching us to celebrate! 






1 comment: