Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

It's My Pleasure

Oh, for the love of...politics. Roger and I had that in common, though he knew a whole lot more than I ever will. He had this mental capacity to remember and analyze all kinds of information.

Ask him to name countries in the world. He knew the ones we never heart of. And their capitals. And their leaders. 

Ask him to discuss just about any issue and he knew both sides and analyzed them well. Yes, he had his personal opinions, but he generally knew all sides of any issue. 

Ask him about anyone in office and there was a pretty fair chance that he knew more than any of us really cared to know.


Ask him his opinion on a vote - and he could cover any and all of the issues - and candidates.

Ask him who he was willing to support with time and money. Well, those were few.  I can name only one or two. I can always name Webster. As in Daniel Webster. As in US Congressman Daniel Webster. 

Roger was always on Team Webster because he knew Dan's values, he knew Dan's heart, and he knew that Dan was doing what he was doing because God called him to step up to the plate and do it. And he was proud to be part of Team Webster and he practically owned Precinct 129. Roger made it his business to try his best to visit every single home in Precinct 129, and catch people on the street too! 

Ah - and therein lies my failure. I am just not the people person that Roger was. I mean well, but striking up conversations with random people is not my strength. But I will stand in his place at the polls on Tuesday, Nov. 4.  I will do my best to be among the first to cast my vote to keep Congressman Daniel Webster in office. He has EARNED it!  That is a very rare thing in our election process, of course!  I'll be in Webster BLUE and be holding the fort for Roger! 

But when Congressman Webster's office calls, I try to be quick to answer.  In fact, I keep painting because I really really, really, really want to paint his Presidential portrait one day.  Hey - dream big! It is a bigger dream for me to paint his portrait than it is to imagine him as President! I hope it happens before the demise of this once great country! 

Congressman Webster is also a generous man and does so much for his constituents. He answered the call to participate in a project to feed the homeless and asked me to paint the bowl. (Ah! We all have limitations and in the same way that I know who to call when I have AC issues, he knows who to call when he needs art!) What an honor!  Of course, it was a new type of ceramic paint and I am admittedly a little rusty, but I knew that Roger would have said - DO IT!  He would have willingly eaten out for a week so I could paint my little heart away.  

It was much needed therapy for me as well. I have to admit that it took me back to that day, back in the 1980's when a group of friends sat around the pool, watching the kids swim, when "Danny from Pine Hills" shared this idea he had about running for office. (I know why now, but I don't imagine it sunk in much at the time.)  I think that Roger - and maybe Debbie were the only ones who were actually excited about his idea. The rest of us likely saw a lot of work and less playtime ahead of us.  Most of us never gave much more than a passing thought to politics, though we always did our civic duty and voted. 

Of course, tears welled up as the memories returned, for I could still see it in my mind, as if it were yesterday.  But like sunshine after the rain, the tears quickly changed to tears of joy because it was Roger who desperately believed this was a good idea and a good thing for the family to be involved in. Yes, little girls could 'Walk for Webster' too!

Though Dan has been in office for quite a while, he is nothing like what you would call a 'career politician." I guess he is in the history books by now - Florida History, the political kind, at least.  He has weathered many storms involving such negativity, and yet he has never succumbed to negativity himself or in his campaigns. What a breath of fresh air! 

Roger loved the years when we needed to campaign hard. I loved the years when there was no opponent. Roger loved to talk to people, I was always willing to cater a party.  Indeed, we all have our strengths.  Dan lost a great campaigner in February, but had Roger been able to tell him, I just know that he would have said that he would have more and better campaigners to follow.  He knew that he was only doing his little part in the big picture of life. 

I count it an honor to be at the polls on Tuesday to cast my vote for Daniel Webster. I surely do hope that Precinct 129 turns out in force too! I'll be in Roger's spot at the Town Hall, waving that blue sign! 

Roger's Lesson:  This is easy. This country is still great and it is our job to keep it great. That can only be done by putting honorable men and women in office. Look for the character rather than the marketing. And get involved by spreading the word because most people do appreciate knowing when there is a truly honorable candidate out there. 

Yep ....back in the 1980's Dan ran on "Honesty, Integrity, and Leadership" - his first political slogan.  He could still run on it today.  Today he is in DC - that place that is broken.  (America is not broken, Washington is -   oh how true.)  And though we never hear it on tv, we know that little by little, good things can and do happen in DC.  Roger was so proud of his friend Dan and the work he is doing. 

I sure hope his memory is prodding people to vote on election day. I will be quite busy in Precinct 129 on Saturday.  

And the bowl - (It is about 12-15 inches across - a pasta type bowl) - Nice and shiny all fired up! Not too bad for freehand art. 

It was my pleasure to serve. 

And I absolutely know that Roger would be thrilled to have a certain friend as First Lady - even though she got the last word. 
Well done, SJW! 

1 comment: