Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ribs

Oh, the pain.  How was it that the doctor described it - close to childbirth?
I told her that I was asleep, so I don't really remember childbirth pain - try something else.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and I don't run to the doctor for every little thing, so to allow Kristin to get me there on a Sunday was outside my comfort zone anyway.


WebMD pointed us to the doctor but did not give us answers.
Sometimes you just need the real thing.  (I now know that you do not say "WebMD" to a real live doctor.)
And sometimes you still need an X-Ray machine.
(Not my image above, but the right place - only my rib is broken, not spotty - CD won't read on this Apple product!)

Jim analyzed and pretty well knew that with the stubbornness that runs in this family, it was going to be hard to get me to move. I had convinced myself that it was a pinched nerve, or cyst, or something that could be dealt with later - or with a massage. He did not believe I was right.

Send in the boss. Kristin is a take charge kind of girl and there is this small part of me that is fairly determined NOT to be John Underwood and plant my feet in cement and be unmoved. She is not one to run to a doctor constantly either, so if something bothers her, I really try to listen and accommodate her. It is hard for a mother to admit, but she is generally right when it comes to health things.

But then, practically everyone that knows me even a little bit would not pick me as a 'Nancy Nurse."

Today, it was good that I listened to both of them. (I'm not sure Jim would say that I actually 'listened' but at least I accommodated the request)

I have a lot on my to-do list this week and it involves R and R. This was in no way the right timing for a diagnosis like I received.

Rib number 3 ---in a place that I did not really realize had ribs, though I should have!  --- not a hairline fracture, but a crack, as in broken, as in dislodged. As in, be careful so you don't puncture a lung. Seriously?!

It would be nice to say that I was out on some grand adventure and fell off the zip line, or the bungee cord snapped me in the wrong direction, or the roller coaster tossed me out of the car - but oh no, not one of those. (It would NEVER be one of those anyway!)    I do save my real adventures for when I am in Europe anyway!

No no, they figure that I sneezed. Sneezed? Really? There has to be more, and I will keep thinking back to last week and figure out that I did something far more interesting than sneezing. That does not even make a good story!

After the ER Clinic and the hospital Xray and a little nap at home, then a pick up of the world traveling daughter from the airport and dinner, I settled in for a little time of reflection.

Sneezing is far too boring of a diagnosis for my life. I need more. What would Roger say?

Roger's Lesson:  First, think back some more - maybe something happened before that fateful sneeze.  The most random things can change what you think you have to do on any given day. Plan for the future, but live as if it could all change in a moment. 

Oh - could that mean, don't over commit?  I didn't. I planned a little vacation!
But I suspect that I have also added a little more 'busy-work" than is actually necessary, and God knows that I need to stop and focus.

I will have a few GA days to do nothing but chalk the pavement, then soak in a hot Hilton tub, and crash in a luxury Hilton bed. I'll be back in shape before we know it!

I'll be able to get in really great shape for the Mediterranean trip too!

Indeed - Roger would definitely say to be in shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment