Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

It's the Experience

Practical - on the scale of practical, I was far more practical in most things than Roger was.  A hundred dollars for a meal? Ah, there are better ways to spend that money.

Roger didn't think that way. If it was something he wanted to try, within reason, he just wanted to do it.

I tended to save for the future and he tended to save some and then live in the now. These days, I think his way was better.

Our 40th anniversary was last May and loving Disney like we did, he picked Epcot - and a mystery restaurant. One of our all time favorites was the wonderful bistro in France. He would often say that we should 'check out' that place upstairs on our next visit. We never had, in all those years, until he surprised me in May 2013.

He knew I would not love the priciness, so he pre-ordered and did not let me see the menu. Clever chap!

You kind of have to know where to find Monsieur Paul - because it is one of those small number of tables, and quiet, quaint restaurants. It is modeled after Monsieur Paul in Paris. (The real Paris, France)

It was spectacular. Seat by the window, overlooking Spaceship Earth. He told me all that mushy stuff like how I was the world to him and how he could not believe 40 years had passed so quickly. He was
quite the romantic that night and I am not at all sure I appreciated it like I do now. Watching the fireworks from our own private viewing spot reminded us of our first dates - though they were in the Magic Kingdom at that time.

We spent a lot of time reflecting back on the life we had enjoyed together. Like everyone else, there had been ups and downs, good times and hard times, challenges and opportunities. Together we grew.
We always loved that little poem that said  "come and grow old with me, the best is yet to be."

And neither one of us actually considered ourselves 'old.'

Well, unless we had worked in the yard all day.

It was one of those days and nights where you stop and enjoy it, embrace the moments and appreciate another anniversary, and then life kicks back into high gear and you get going again.

Today, as I sit and recall, I am so thankful for that moment in time. That moment when he did not discuss with me about the detonation, or the price. I am ever so thankful that I was "retired" and life was not overly busy, nor me, overly stressed.  We were really able to live 'in the moment' for this little period of time.  Disney can be magical like that.  I think God just allowed it.

Reflecting back, I don't think Roger knew his days were numbered like they were, but I do think that when he turned 70 (in January 2013) that he really began to 'redeem the time' and not put off things that he really wanted to do.  Of course, I never saw it then, but hind-sight teaches you a lot.

Roger's Lesson:  Remember this little 'nook' in France every time you walk by. Let it be a marker, much like those stone markers in the Bible, where God inspired men to mark the place where something remarkable happened.  Our remarkable was our life together, our family and what God allowed us to experience on this earthly journey. Don't forget those things. Let them make you stronger and make you love more. And always redeem the time. 

Yes, he showed us how to love. He loved by giving and doing. He loved experiences, not stuff.
He redeemed the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment