Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Throw Back - Webster

 I love getting photos of Roger in my email.

These candids crack me up. This was during the 'victory party' for his man Dan, way back in .....late 80's early 90s.   This was his first run for Florida House.

He was running against a long term incumbent names Swanson. A good guy. The butterfly man.

The race was a long shot and I don't even remember much of a Swanson campaign.

Roger loved politics and especially loved
working to get Dan elected.  (AKA - Danny from Pine Hills)

We were all just regular old people and Dan was just doing what he felt that God was leading him to do. We were all pretty much clueless too. Talk about a grass roots campaign. No money, no idea how to run a campaign. Just a God-given vision and  a willingness to work.

Back in the day, nothing was "streaming" - everything came in on a small tv or on the radio...and Roger had SOME RADIO!

If he had not been at the party, he would have been doing the same thing at home....listening to the returns.

Of course, we know the outcome. We know that Dan won and that it was the beginning of a long career of service to his constituents.

These photos remind me of how Roger stuck with someone if he truly believed in their efforts and their vision.

It also reminds me of what good friendships are all about.

Roger's Lesson:  Stick with good people. Help where you can, and always work to make things better.

Yes - and Dan still does!

No comments:

Post a Comment