Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Embellish but Keep the Focus!

The organizational set up did not happen until around December 15, but it was still a while before Christmas.

I've heard it said on more than one occasion that God allows you opportunities and experiences along life's highway that will prepare you for other things later.

I guess it is much like learning to read or to do math.

For me, it is called "embellishment."

Way back in the day, I spent my first Christmas at the downtown Orlando Sear store doing gift wrap. Well, among other things, but I recall doing a lot of gift wrap.  That was back in the day where you could buy something in a department store and they would wrap your gift all pretty for free or for a very nominal price.  Wow - things were so simple back then - there was none of this stuff to store!

Today we have Hobby Lobby. This place comes stocked with the most wonderful papers, ribbons, and other embellishments. I love it!

We have this system. I don't really like to wrap, but Karin does, so I taught her how to wrap a proper box - complete with firmly creased corners and edges, and double stick tape!  Station one - she wraps.   Actually, she is station two.   Kristin is station one. She purchases.  That involves ordering online and having things delivered to her doorstep.

I know - untold amounts of recycling!

Kristin has this spreadsheet system that we sometimes understand and sometimes find a mystery.  It is like little elves sneaking around. Lots of fun, lots to trip over in the days before Christmas Day.

Karin wraps, then sends nicely sticky-note adorned packages to my house - Station three.  I embellish. Sometimes it gets totally over the top and out of hand.

We also color code our packages. This way we only have to write TO EMILY - the package color tells who it is from. Oh so efficient!

Station four is the tree - wherever it might be.

The process was more efficient this year than it has been in years past, but I am absolutely certain that Roger would have been shaking his head and saying that he would rather have dinner than wonderfully wrapped and embellished packages.

Roger's Lesson:  The tree is up, the gifts have been purchased, they are wrapped and embellished just like you desire.  Now, please, oh please...remember to feed me! Food is necessary for life!  Food for the should is even more necessary, so after dinner, let's take a look at JLTV! 

Oh Roger! We won't forget the reason for Christmas. This year our white and crystal tree filled with angels will be key to the memories of the goodness of God to us in this past year.  Of course we would prefer that you be here with us, but in many ways, your presence will forever be here.

We believe that God's ways are perfect, even though we can't see that clearly at the moment.  I think we will always enjoy doing the things you did, celebrating like you celebrated - and looking forward to that glorious day when we will all be together again.

Christmas might not be the same in some ways, but Christmas will always be about Jesus and for that, we are forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment