Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Something is missing!

Tradition.  As crazy as it sounds, on Christmas morning the aroma of " Li'l Smokies - Kielbalsa" wrapped in crescent rolls comes from my kitchen.

Never a sausage fan, I break the rule on Christmas and with Kielbalsa.  Polish tradition? I don't know, but those little piggies in a blanket just seem to get the day started off just right.  Typically I would have fresh fruit and lots of other snackies, but this year was quiet - and small, so I kept it simple.

A few years back, I became a fan of Brie.  -- I am quite sure that whether or not Brie baked in pastry has anything at all to do with a Polish tradition, that it was likely Barbara ...our resident "Martha Steward and Betty Crocker" all rolled into a tiny little package.... indeed, Barbara likely introduced us to this little delicacy.

And of course....sparkling.....because every day needs some sparkle, and most especially Christmas.   (now, I am personally not a fan of any sparkly beverage, which is quite ironic since I pretty much like any other bling and sparkle in the world)   Thank you Welch family for figuring out how to put red and white sparkle in a pretty, foil capped bottle.

And coffee.  Karin brought her own.  I never have figured out the recipe. I guess this is the first Christmas of my adult life, if not my entire life, where I did not awaken to the smell of freshly brewing coffee.

OK....this is a memory and worth recording for my children because I don't want them to forget that every really special day should have some really special traditions. They will have theirs, as Roger and I had ours, but what is important is to have them.  It is great because when you are away from home and family, it gives you something to long for.  It reminds you of comfort and love and joy.

At least it should.

Roger's Lesson:  Good on the kielbalsa, sweetie!  You are probably going to find a big package in Heaven one day though - and it is likely to be filled with DD Coffee - because it is definitely one blessing you are cutting yourself out of. But keep the traditions! 

I can hear it - really - I can almost hear him speaking!
But Karin, Kristin, and Jim make up for what I don't drink.
I'll still pass.


1 comment: