Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Penny Stuff

 To be sure, there is still a bit of apprehension whenever I head back to the Magic Kingdom with the family. It may always be that way. I hope not.

I never fail to have a good time with the family though, so our little trek out to the MK once again turned out to be quite fun.

We enjoyed a few rides and the kids climbed that big tree with the tree house. We enjoyed Pirates and even turned the corner while the parade was going on, and found a practically empty Pecos Bill cafe.  Wow - that was one of the places we discovered with Roger around his birthday.  So, that was a little interesting with the memories and all.

It is always an interesting thing the way we are apprehensive, then sad, and then end up laughing.  I know he would want it no other way.

We were in line for ordering, placed the order and moved forward, then Jim asked me if I realized what I had stepped over.  He bent over and picked up a shiny shield penny.

Oh, the little things. It brought a big smile and made us stop and say 'thanks' - for that little shield penny is what we call 'a sign' that God is in control, and Roger is fully alive - and that we are doing a satisfactory, if not good, job of continuing to "live."

Yes, Roger loved the Magic Kingdom and I hope we always manage to keep our passes so we can pop in and out at a moment's notice. I'm pretty thankful for that tradition that he started years ago - and I'll always remember our first date - the first of many - out in the park.

Roger's Lesson:  "And I repeat, don't give up the things we always loved doing together."

I know that is enough said. There is not a time we are out there that we don't re-live wonderful memories. I am happy to say "as it should be."  I hope other families can say the same about time spent with their loved ones, and if it is not so fun, that they will work to change that.

People are so much better than stuff.

MK Shield Penny! 




No comments:

Post a Comment