Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Brrr

It was really hard not to cry through the day.   I woke up cold.  I got colder throughout the day.

This was one of Roger's FAVORITE days of the year.

The FIRST cold snap of the season.

He loved that he got to go out and drag wood to the house and shove it in the fireplace.   He loved going to the store to buy the fixin's for Chili.

He loved dragging out that big ole pot and watching me fill it up.  It was never a rare thing to have a pot of chili that included a mere five pounds of meat.  And then, my secret recipe.

If the cold snap came on a Saturday, it was chili and football. If it was during the week, it was chili and Fox - all day, all night.  It was a tradition.

And loved a little chili and a roaring big fire.

This year - two pounds of meat in that big ole pot.  No fire.  The Duke energy audit guy told me that he closed the flue.  I have no idea what or where a flue is, but I do know that it blocks a chimney and all of the smoke will go into the house.   Since I have no firefighter on duty now, I just figured it was a good idea to leave the fire part of the tradition alone.

I also have not turned on the heater.  I have never turned on the heater without a firefighter in the house. A girl has to be prepared. It always smells like something is on fire the first time you turn on the heater. Freaks me out.

Roger's Lesson:  He would tell me that I learned well about the fireplace and the heater. He would be happy that we kept his tradition, even without the football or Fox.  Chilly weather reminds us that family is so important because it is that warmth that we get from the love that we have for each other that can carry us through those cold and lonely times. 

I am blessed. I have family right here and if I need that flue open - Jim will take care of it for me.

I'm not quite cold enough yet for that heater, and I am not sure that I will brave a roaring fire without someone here to rescue me.  (I can light a mean fire though -- it is extinguishing it that is hard.)

And yes - memories of the last 40 'first coldsnap' days still warm my heart.

It will never be the same - but God has blessed me with a family and friends that provide plenty of warmth - the love you forever kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment