Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wasp Spray to the Rescue!




I already posted this photo on FB - it is creepy.  I did not post much of the story.

I know there has to be a lesson in this. Perhaps it will become evident!

I've always been one of those 'behind the scenes' people. I don't like to be on stage. I don't like to be the one who rescues. I don't like to come in and save the day. I would rather watch.

But sometimes......

I was headed out somewhere and had been in the bathroom getting all dolled up for some reason or another.

We have almost always had a 'seat down' rule in our home - and most of the time, lid down too.

As I breezed back into the bedroom to grab a scarf, I heard this sound....'glub'... I guess.  It was loud and it did not sound normal.  The only place that watery kind of air bubble sound could have come from was l'toilette - so my first thought was ... oh no! don't overflow!

It was weird because it had not be recently used...but I did hear that sound!  As I reached over to close the lid, I saw a shadow. Weird. I backed next to the wall to get a side look and OH GLORY!   I slammed the lid and started flushing. Then I called Kristin.

This is what you do when you are alone and you have an emergency - you call a girl!
Then I ran to the garage to figure out something that would not let this thing get away until Jim could come and rescue me.

With heart a-racing, I slid my plastic pieces right under the rim of the seat, and just in case that thing had moved, I slid one between the seat and lid as well.   Then I carefully aimed the wasp spray under the seat and gave it a good old spray for good measure.   And I flushed some more.

Then Kristin called to check on me and told me to stop flushing or I would stop up the pipes. OK. Practical advice.

Jim was up to his eyeballs in projects and would hurry on over when he could.  I sealed up the bathroom.

It was quite the thing when he arrived. He calmly strolled in - with super long plier tool in hand and set out to solve the problem.  I think he was silently laughing at me, thinking that perhaps there was really nothing much there, but his new job is to protect me, and so he rose to the occasion!

Fearlessly, he laughed at my plastic....and moved it away.

Thankfully, I was a fast thinker, phone in hand, and I captured the evidence!
Then I stood guard, with wasp spray in hand (I killed a bat in my kitchen with wasp spray once!)

He with his pliers and I with my spray .....that could be a poem......

And he gently leaned forward, reached in, and   THE THING HOPPED!

Not being exactly sure how it happened, but I was almost immediately on the bedroom side of the bathroom door, which was now shut....and Jim was contained inside, with the intruder.

At least I had given him a big zip lock baggie for the evidence. Dead evidence, I hoped!

Coaxing -   (He actually sounded a lot like Roger would have)  "Come on, jump in the bag...you can do it...try again....come on, in the bag....I will set you free, just jump in the bag"

I kept the spray handy, just in case!

In due time, he emerged, intruder in hand. Not dead enough for me.

I asked him how he could hold it that way and he said ' because I am not afraid of frogs.'

And he actually did set the darned thing free - across the street - in the woods.

Roger's Lesson:   Jim can handle it.  He promised you one day that if you were ever left alone, then he would care for you in the manner in which you were accustomed. He did it. I knew he would. 


Indeed.  And thank you, Jim.

Now if you can figure out how that thing got into l'toilette in the first place.....

It will not be that funny if I have a heart attack because there is a frog on my back side.

At least, not funny to me. There has to be a better way to depart.



I am still at a loss for what the spiritual lesson might be in this one.
Maybe it is an example of what the plague of frogs might be like - Heaven help us! Repent, America!     Maybe it is yet another example of how God has the right person on hand when a rescue is needed.  Perhaps, God is giving me nine lives - I used up about three on this little episode.
Perhaps I need to look and pray before I sit.  I will probably always do that now!


No comments:

Post a Comment