Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Catfish Joe

Catfish. These things are U.G.L.Y.  and I remember when Roger and Kristin went fishing and caught a really big one.  I'm so glad they did not feel compelled to stuff it! 

This is Joe's catfish. ONE of Joe's catfish. My uncle has a beautiful place up on Lake Sinclair  (in GA) and goes down to his dock every evening as the sun goes down and feeds his catfish. I guess they hear him coming and show up - or they have this internal timing - or something. It was quite the site to behold. 

Joe - my mom's baby brother. He is less than 20 years older than me and when I was little, I was IN LOVE with him!  Isn't it great to have an uncle like that?  I did not know it then, but I can look back now and see how much he influenced me about the ways a lady should be treated.   He has this amazing, genteel way of speaking. If he ever raised his voice - well I can't even imagine it. The tone of his voice is just soft and nice and that of a real Southern Gentleman. You don't find those so much anymore.  

That crazy drive through Atlanta was so worth it - just to get to see family again. Most of the time I fly OVER Georgia. It's hard to get back to your roots that way. 

Joe and Frank were brothers - and kindred spirits too. That was so special, because my mom and her sister were kindred spirits like that. It is quite something to be able to spend time with another person and not even have to talk, but to just really enjoy that time together. 

Roger and I sat in the swing a lot and just enjoyed time together.  I sat there more often when it was not too hot, nor too cold, nor too buggy - often enough, and yet now I look back and it was not nearly enough. 

Roger missed out. He missed out because he never answered Joe's call to come up for a visit. The two of them would have had quite a swell time together too! They liked so many of the same things.
One thing that I hope that I can always remember to do is to answer the call to 'come visit' - and to say 'come visit.'   I hope that I don't get so wrapped up in the busy-ness of life ever again, that I 'mean to' get around to it.

Roger's Lesson:
I think he would tell me to go where my heart leads me - and if it is on the road to Georgia - then do it. Yes, I know he would say that I should not just sit home and wait until it is my turn to enter Heaven. He would say to live and enjoy those you love until God calls you home. 



When I see a beautiful sunset over Lake Butler, I am going to remember this sunset over Lake Lanier and that wonderful time I spent with Joe and Fran (and Carole Anne too!)

And thanks Lila, for encouraging me along the way. We might have taken the long way around much of the time, but it was a fun Georgia journey! 

I still won't eat them, but those olde ugly catfish will always bring back good memories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment