Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

You've gotta VOTE!



Our Precinct 129 first string wasn't here for this election. He surely was missed though.

You have to know your strengths. Roger's strength was meeting new people, talking about what interested them, and talking about his favorite statesman. Yes, Statesman.  

Roger did not have a zillion interests in life like I tend to do - he loved a few things -
Faith - Family - Friends - Politics ....yes, and sports. 
He had this unique take on politics, not like too many other people I have ever known. 
He not only knew the issues, but the candidates and quite often what motivated them.
And when he put his support behind someone, he was all in.
He did not do this often.
He always did it for Dan Webster. 

He always believed that Dan would make a difference, and indeed, he has.
He does not make a difference in that - 'he point the camera this way and see what I have done' kind of way. 
No, he makes a difference because he cares about people, but he cares more about eternity. 
He lives his life in an honorable way, and he evaluates issues and makes moral and responsible decisions.
And he listens. 

Today was one of those 'push through' kind of days for me. For all of us, I suppose. 

It was REALLY hard to go to the polls and vote without Roger by my side - or reminding me that it is really good to have a voting number no higher than the teens. (OK, I had 102 or something like that, but I voted!)

It was REALLY hard to put my Webster signs in the appointed place where he always had his Dunkin' Donuts coffee - or Allen's on this occasion.  It was wonderful to have people come by and recall that this was his spot - and even nicer when they happened to know that we went together. 

I did not stand up and chat all day like Roger did, but I did say "first bubble on your ballot!" a lot.  And during the afternoon when traffic got slow - I found a wifi connection. He would NEVER have done that!

And I did bug Karen often, though not as often as he did, to keep up with the count and the voting percentage for the Precinct 129 turnout. 

And I made it until 6:30 and I have not fallen apart.  
And I think I will make it just fine - because there is a party at the end - and I just know that our man Dan is going to go back to DC and work on our behalf to make this country strong again. And we will rightfully celebrate.

And yes, I know he can't do it alone, but I fully believe that his influence and the fact that he cares more about souls than about stuff is beginning to change the hearts of those in office. And I believe that God can and will change this nation for the better if the hearts of men are changed for the better. 

Roger's Lesson:
Push through. Do what is right to do, and keep doing it.  Stand up for those who do right and assist where you can.


I think he would be happy with us on this election day. 

Pick a team, friends and family - just be sure you know what your chosen leader believes and where he is leading you! 

Happy Election Day. God Bless America! 


No comments:

Post a Comment