Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summer Oven

Roger did not bring much with him when we got married. We started off with a new apartment, mostly new furnishings and a lot of wedding gifts. I had stuff, of course - mostly fashion. 

This should have been my first clue, 41 years ago, about how a person can live lightly. 

He did, however bring John with him. 

Seriously now, how many people actually have a picture of a President to hang in their home? And a framed picture at that. And no, not a photo, but a print of a painting, of his Presidential portrait. 

I'm sure Roger told me at some point how he happened to acquire this thing. I am equally sure that he did not tell me of his affection for JFK before we were married. If he had, my dad would have run him off quite quickly! My dad was a Democrat - on his voting card - but only to make the Democrats think they had one more vote than they really had.   And now we know where I got my crazy ideas about politics. Roger always voted for the candidate that he felt was best for the job. He studied candidates carefully before voting. 

Roger probably read everything that John F. Kennedy ever wrote. He never missed a documentary or any other show about the assassination. It fascinated him. He knew the Kennedy family history. He always told me that JFK was more conservative than most any Republican we have had in recent times. He studied JFK for as long as I can remember. 

He only had about 5 topics that he was passionately interested in. I read recently that if you read only one hour a day on any given topic, that in 7 years you could be considered an expert. I think he could have pretty much been considered an expert on several topics.

I recall that our first really serious 'discussion' after were were married was the day he displayed this photo over the sofa. WHAT?! Of course, it was in pretty much pristine condition at the time.  I did not grow up in a home where we displayed photos of a President, or actually even photos of Jesus.  It felt really strange to me - hitlerish even. Keep in mind that my family was of the Nixon / Goldwater bent, so finding JFK on the wall of my new home sent my dad....ballistic. I lost the first battle of 'the hanging of John" because I did not have anything better to offer the wall. 

Creative soul that I am though, it did not take long to change that. John was still properly hung in those first few apartments. Inside the hall closet door. Roger could visit with him simply by opening the door. He could pull up a chair and have a chat as far as I was concerned! 

Then we built our new home (well, 35 years ago) and John was still important to Roger. In this big ole space, surely there was a place for John! Of course there was...there was this niche ...in the attic. 

And though Roger asked about him occasionally over the years, we were far too busy about the business of enjoying the raising of a family to be too concerned about where John was. 

After the hurricanes of 2004, I ran into John again when checking the status of the belongings in the attic. I did not have the heart to tell Roger that he had not fared so well. I soon forgot about it. 

Then in April (2014), my cleaning binge hit full force. I HAD to have everything out of the attic. Oh the things we store - and for what reason? We acquire, and store, and it becomes pretty much useless. Perhaps I was finally getting the life lesson that Roger continually showed us about the things we acquire - and store. And then there was John.  I knew there was no sense in saving him now. Roger was not here to ask about him or appreciate him. Out I sent him.

Or so I thought.

It kind of reminds me of the Disney movie, Summer Magic, and the discovery of the painting of Dear Old Mrs. Hamilton, the mother of Tom Hamilton.  They found her in the summer oven. (the portrait, not the mother) 

I was looking for a canvas or something and pulled out....what? JFK?!  How did he get there? 
Turns out that Karin could not part with him. (bad condition and all)  OK, she is right that he is one of the few 'possessions' that Roger actually held on to. She felt the need to hang on. OK. I'll give him a year.   He does not look so hot any more, but he is a good reminder of this.

There are people who invest their lives in something worthwhile. They passionately believe in what they do. They are willing to do tough jobs and take tough stands. Sometimes it works out well for them and sometimes it does not, but their faith does not waiver.  Roger felt like this about his chosen career. In fact, he sort of felt that it chose him. He was so well suited to be a firefighter, a chief, a leader. He would not send his men where he would not go. He believed in being prepared. He believed in giving it all that you had, and send back what you did not need rather than have to wait for more support. 

Looking back now, I wonder if his study of certain world figures as well as certain Biblical characters are what gave him the strength to follow his passions. I am sure that they did. 

Roger's Lesson:  Without a doubt he would say that it is important on this journey called 'earth' to be passionate about something. Have something that you would be willing to die for. Find something that you want to know about and learn EVERYTHING you can about it. And apply what you learn to living. 

And about John.....
He wold be laughing right now and saying

"Wouldn't it be funny if this painting were worth something on Antiques Road Show! - You should have taken better care of him!"

And I would have laughed and agreed, because I learned a lot more than I ever wanted to know about JFK along these 41 years with Roger. 

1 comment: