Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Interesting Selections

Early. Misty. Damp. Chilly. Gray.  Not the way I prefer to start my day. But today was different. It is Resurrection morning and I was so ready to get up with the sun. (Not physically, but mentally, I was!)

As I drifted of to sleep last night, I thought about all of the Easter celebrations Roger and I had shared. Besides being the celebration of the Resurrection of our Savior, it was a fun family day too. I thought about the afternoons at grandaddy's when the girls were little. All those memories.....

And then, one of my last thoughts before slumber came, was of Roger and the way he had to be rejoicing in Heaven...because he is WITH Jesus on this Resurrection morning.  He and lots of other loved ones. He and lots of others that he only knew through the history books. He and all of those great saints from Bible times.  It must be wonderful.

As we headed to our sunrise service this morning, in the mist and grayness, I still had hope for a great sunrise. I even checked sunrise time so I would not miss it. 
Sunrise over the lake is stunning any day of the year, but on Resurrection Sunday...I knew it would be glorious.  

In selecting a seat, I made sure that my view of the cross also did not include the Mormon tabernacle across the lake. I did not want to think of the sadness of those who wholeheartedly follow religion, but not relationships.  Actually, it would have made quite the visually contrasting image, now that I think of it. But, this morning, I needed happy. 

Walking to our seats, I heard the choir singing "Christ the Lord is Risen Today!".....Glorious! I just love hymns and especially hymns of the Resurrection.  I just knew that the sun would burst through those gray clouds any moment. Alas, even throughout the service, no sun.  No sUn....but the SON was there! Always there!

Roger always liked going to "OUR" church for any kind of service. He was not a "church hopper" by any stretch of the imagination. Of course, we must remember that change was not his favorite thing either. It is a good thing that when he met me, I was going to a great church with an amazing pastor.  Once Roger made a commitment, he stuck with it. He visited with me that first time, and he never looked back. Never changed churches, stuck with ours through thick and thin. All churches have that 'thin'....tough, lean, challenging ....time sooner or later. Ours had several, but we grew stronger. A focus on Christ does that for you. Makes you stronger.

Being so excited about actually being awake and focused at sunrise, I came away from the service a little on the down side. It was an interesting service. Yes, interesting. I had never heard Easter music that sounded so melancholy. Song after song. Just different. The message was good, but did not leave me wanting more.  So sad...a great opportunity missed.  Maybe it was just me.

Maybe it served as a reminder that OUR church, the one where we chose to serve together, is still the best for me. Even if it is just me.  Maybe it served to remind me that every day won't be cheerful, upbeat, full of fun, but that does not change the fact that Christ is still in charge and He has something special for each new day.  Maybe it was a sad day because Roger was not beside me.  Actually, he would be quite surprised that I was actually fully engaged at sunrise! 

All in all, it was still a great experience, because any experience when Christ is with you, is a great one. Now I am heading off for OUR church. I need some REAL RESURRECTION DAY music and preaching. This time I will come away with a joy in my heart that can't be surpassed by anything else this world has to offer. I just know it!

Roger's Lesson:  Look around, visit around if you feel the need, but always remember that there is just no place on earth like the church that was meant for you. 

I always knew that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment