Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Not A Movie

Un-fried green tomatoes
Webster. One of Roger's favorite words. This time it is not about Dan, however. It is about a little town with a really great market. 

It has always been fun to take a Monday morning ride out to the Webster Flea Market with the girls. We talk and laugh and just have a great time, topping it off with lunch, straight from the gardens. Before we head home, we stop at the veggie stands. Oh my goodness....the farms in the area produce the most amazing products! 

Roger always loved my Webster Market excursions. He loved them because it meant that dinner would consist of some pretty amazing produce!

He particularly liked green tomatoes. In a pinch, he would even eat those pickled whole ones that come in a jar. ICK. Though I never thought I was very good at cooking them, I would make fried green tomatoes whenever I came home from Webster. He called it a treat! I called it...'well, who would want to eat that?'

It is really hard to cook something well if you are not willing to eat it. But if my fried green tomatoes were terrible, he never told me so. (Good plan!) 

It seems like every day something happens that makes me miss Roger so very much. Sometimes I wonder how I will ever get used to life without him when he seems to be absolutely everywhere.   
Just unpacking the treasures and prepping them for storage made me feel like he was sitting in the kitchen with me. It was a warm and happy feeling. 

Then the little alarm on my phone reminded me of the time. "Man down-Roger"   Oh no...I want to take that off my phone and yet I can't seem to. It is Monday again. This is my 8th Monday without him.  It seems like yesterday and it seems like forever and it seems like I am still in an other-worldly time warp.  I have green tomatoes for frying, and yet no one to fry them for. 

Roger's Lesson in all of this might be to embrace the simple things. Who would have thought that green tomatoes would bring up such warm memories? It is the ransom, little things in life.  Those are the blessings that God gives us if we only allow it. It is also the little things that create warm memories if we stop to embrace them. I hope he knew how much I enjoyed preparing foods that he loved, even if I did not know if they tasted good or not.   I love that he loved the simple things. 

Fried Green Tomatoes. 

And it's not about a movie. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the simply things spoken of in this post. You were a winner to make fried green tomatoes for Roger when you never ate them. Fried green tomatoes are a delicacy and a genuine treat at our house. We have them for breakfast whenever we buy enough for a meal.

    ReplyDelete