Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Ready

Resurrection time just makes me want to sing all the time. Of course, I don't tend to do it with an audience listening. I like to think that I know something about music, but more than likely, I really don't.  Like - I think that songs in a Major key sound happy and uplifting and songs in a Minor key sound kind of melancholy, soulful, even mournful. That probably is not right, but it does not tend to change how I think. 

I love the old hymn "O Glorious Day" (or sometimes called One Day) but I like it the old way...peppy. Well, cheerful, if not peppy.  Major. This current version, which actually plays a lot in church and on the radio is a bit more melancholy. I have a hard time singing along with it. (But that might be a good thing.)    O Glorious Day by Casting Crowns 
But, googling around I just could not find a version that I liked...and I mean, some of the youtube's make MY singing seem wonderful! Whew!    Roger tolerated the new re-dos of old Hymns fairly well, but never really loved them.  "Give my my 4/4 time," he would say.  I am coming to appreciate some  of his inflexible ways a bit more these days, especially when they make one of my favorite hymns so melancholy. 

We always enjoyed reading the stories about WHY a song was written - or the story behind anything, for that matter.  Young people in particular tend to think that this is a contemporary worship song..well, of course, Casting Crowns is a contemporary group, right? Well, it actually dates way back to 1909. A Century. Roger's style. 

I'll have fun recalling this story because the chorus really tells you all you need to know!

Living, He loved me 
Dying, He saved me
Buried, He carried, my sins far away
Rising, He justified, clearly for ever
One day He's coming...O Glorious Day!

That's just the chorus - and it is the entire Gospel message! Living, Dying, Buried, Rising, Returning! 

The verses are even better! Gospel message again - this is what I love about old Hymns....not that constant repeat of one phrase over and over and over and over. "Give me some meat" Roger would say! 

FIRST VERSE - HIS BIRTH

  • One day when heaven was filled with His praises,
      One day when sin was as black as could be,
    Jesus came forth to be born of a virgin—
      Dwelt among men, my example is He!

  • SECOND VERSE - HIS DEATH

  • One day they led Him up Calvary’s mountain,
      One day they nailed Him to die on the tree;
    Suffering anguish, despised and rejected;
      Bearing our sins, my Redeemer is He.

  • THIRD VERSE - HIS BURIAL

  • One day they left Him alone in the garden,
      One day He rested, from suffering free;
    Angels came down o’er His tomb to keep vigil;
      Hope of the hopeless, my Savior is He.

  • FOURTH VERSE - HIS RESURRECTION! 

  • One day the grave could conceal Him no longer,
      One day the stone rolled away from the door;
    Then He arose, over death He had conquered;
      Now is ascended, my Lord evermore.

  • FIFTH VERSE - HIS COMING AGAIN!!!!!!!

  • One day the trumpet will sound for His coming,
      One day the skies with His glory will shine;
    Wonderful day, my beloved ones bringing;
      Glorious Savior, this Jesus is mine!

  • If that does not make you just want to jump up from your comfy seat and sing from the top of your lungs (Well, using your head voice, as Tara taught me) ... then something is just plain old wrong with you! 

    But the story - never forget the story!  This hymn was written way back in 1909 by John Wilbur Chapman (1859-1918)   He was best known as an evangelist and actually gave Billy Sunday his start. This man believed in pure Gospel. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Chapman's life story is interesting and reminds us of how far from 'pure Gospel' we have come in America today. 

    But I like it that this song is often described as the Gospel, so creatively concise. 

    Even better though - you don't get this stuff from a religion. No, you get it from a relationship.   There is no better time of year to think about the kind of relationship you want to have for eternity than this time of year.  I always knew that it was highly unlikely that Roger and I would depart this earth at the same time, outside of the Rapture, and that it would at some point be one without the other.  I never thought it would be soon, or him first.  I never thought there would be all of this figuring stuff out for me to do. I never thought about needing to go on without him. 

    It is Resurrection time though and my focus has turned from the things that need to be put in order, to a time of reflection. Reflection about relationships. Reflection about relationships on the earth, and more importantly, relationships that will last for eternity.  A relationship with Christ will last for eternity. And God promises that I will see my loved ones again in Heaven one day.  Of course, though I don't like to think about it much, I do know that I won't see everyone I ever met on earth, in Heaven. Some never would make a decision to have personal relationship with Christ. They chose to do it their own way, or follow another path, or just think about it later.  Roger would always say that those were such bad decisions. (He never talked about particular sins either, because we all have something we could improve upon. He talked about relationships and eternal decisions.)

    We all make bad decisions from time to time, just don't let where you will spend eternity be a bad decision - or one that you never think about. It is not a morbid thought either - it is actually an exciting though!  Go back to that fifth verse ... unless I step into Heaven first, ONE DAY HE IS COMING! And not only will I meet Jesus face to face, but I will see others I loved as well....only what do you want to bet, that I won't want to leave Jesus for quite a long time!

    Someone told me that Roger stated on Sunday, February 9th, one day before his departure ...that "if the trumpet sounds right now, I am ready ....and even if it does not sound, I am ready"....... I did not get the idea that the statement was in the context of him thinking he was leaving, but rather, in the way he was living. 

    Roger's Lesson:  I am sure it is "Be Ready"

    And what a glorious time of year to be sure you are READY! 

    1 comment:

    1. Judi, this column is your best yet. It blessed my heart so. I pray that this Resurrection Day celebration will wrap you in its figurative arms as you have already experienced your soulmate and partner in this life having gone ahead of you his face-to-face with Jesus.

      ReplyDelete