Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

More than Mayonnaise

Love makes all things better.
It's a special day. Jim has a birthday! We love celebrations in our home and today we get to celebrate a wonderful and special part of our family. 

We met Jim under unusual, even tragic circumstances. Roger noticed almost immediately that Jim had a calmness and sureness about him, even in the midst of unbelievable stress and changing circumstances. 

When the hurricanes of 2004 blew through, he lent a hand, even though his plate was already more than full.  A man with a servant's heart recognizes a man with a servant's heart. Roger always saw that in Jim.

It is no wonder that Kristin fell in love with him. He is kind, gentle, wise and though we don't always agree in the political/social arena, he probably knows deep down that we are right.  Jim keeps me laughing and he has a way of making me feel calm and secure when my world is spinning out of control.

And he knows when to take control and handle things because they just need to be done. And he works so well with people. Any people. All people.  Remarkable.  

In a time when it is such a great loss to be without Roger, I find myself so thankful every day to have such a wonderful soninlove ...and more than that, to have him so nearby. (Ha! hopefully he feels the same, and hopefully I am not too high maintenance!)  I know he married a wonderful gal, but I also know that she married someone with so many of the qualities of her daddy. That makes me especially happy. 

Roger's Lessson: Oh, he would say, 'oh please' and so would Jim. He would not like all this gushing.  But I know he would say to look for really important qualities in a mate. Don't get hooked on superficial things because they won't carry you the distance. And remember too, that God has that perfect mate out there for each of us, so do your homework and let Him guide that decision. It is a really important one. Actually, it is second only to your decision about where you will spend eternity. 

In Roger's world, Jim would be Kristin's mayonnaise to her...almost any kind of food.  You know...mayonnaise....that creamy stuff that he thought made anything more wonderful. 

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM.  Get ready for Juci's version of Ro-Ro's stew....it will be like no other! I love you more than Roger loved mayonnaise! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your soninlove, Jim. Sweet read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying reading your blog. They are such sweet reminders to treasure some of the obvious and not so obvious things and people God has placed in our lives. They are beautiful tributes to Roger's legacy.

    ReplyDelete