Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

New Life

What a difference a few days, some sod, and a pop of color can make.

After several days of watching our much loved oak meet it's demise, the saws were silenced and the heavy equipment was back on the flatbed. As the sun set, we looked out on what appeared to be a field, tilled for planting. Ah, a little water, some grass seeds, the drought tolerant green stuff that blows in like crazy, and grows like crazy. Yes. We would see green again before we knew it.  Dealing with more than that was something for the future.

We had other plans. We were about to have an opportunity to meet and thank the detective who stopped and assisted Susan and Roger.

Early the next morning, I heard heavy equipment again.  Neighbors must be doing tree work, right? Wrong!  It was Mike (the tree man) as cheerful as ever, announcing that he had a tree on his truck and its' name was Roger. What?

Indeed. He grows trees too?! It seems that while were at the Council meeting, Mike was out digging up a live oak and preparing it for planting. He picked the spot, he and his crew got it in the ground. (Photos of him in the bobcat with the tree on the front might get posted some day!)  And  then there was more....he brought in two pallets of sod!  My backyard has NEVER looked this good!

It was so hard to contain the tears. I can't even seem to express how thankful I am for something that was no where close to anything I even thought about doing.  I know that this was from his heart and because of his friendship with Roger, but I can not even believe that this blessing sifted down to me.

This is so much a reminder to me of God's blessings and provisions. So often I still pass by Roger's photos or something hanging in a closet and I wonder how in the world I am going to finish this journey without him.  He still seems so near, and like he is only gone out on one of his little missions or on a run. Then I get a flashback of that service on February 15 and I know he is not coming back. Yet it still does not seem real. Ten weeks, and it still does not seem real. And yet, God has continued to provide. I have seen Roger's love over and over through the people that he met and worked with and cared about.

God tells us that he cares about the little bitty sparrows and the flowers in the field and that is only a tiny example of how much he cares for each of us, individually.

I know that all of this beauty around me is going to constantly remind me of that. Watching the yard, and this new tree, filled with little birds and watching the beautiful flowers bloom will serve to remind me that God cares about that. But He cares about me even more.

This 'not yet grand' but still LIVE OAK, is but a youth. It has years and years of life ahead of it. I will help it to grow strong and become a home to many birds and other wildlife. We will keep it pruned so  that it will become majestic. We will laugh and play and grow together beneath it's shade. And I will tie a red ribbon around it. (Red for Fire Department, Heroes - Roger)   Our new tree is named Roger and will be an ever present reminder of the strength, protection and love that he brought into this home.

Roger's Lesson:  Oh, he would say to enjoy the great outdoors, and he always supported my need for flowers and color, but he would tell me not to forget about that front yard swing. That's where you see the people.

OK. I will work on that project next!  Mornings in the front yard, evenings in the back yard.  That keeps you away from the intensity of the sun!


And...I can't forget the shout to to Windermere Land and Tree.  Mike is relational, just like Roger, so when you find him around town, schedule up your trees!  Technology? Bah Humbug!    There is actually something quite refreshing about someone who can live without being tied to gadgets, when you stop to think about it! They have more time for people.  Thanks again, Mike and crew!





No comments:

Post a Comment