Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Blistering Heat

Looking back over the photos I snapped throughout the week, I am overwhelmed with the many little things that make me think of Roger each day. 

Sometimes I feel like it is repetitive, and yet, most of the things that we enjoy so much do seem to be that way. That's ok, I suppose. 

We have had Annual Passes to Disney as long as I can remember. Some years we did the 'after four' passes or the 'seasonal' passes, but lately, the annual pass. Roger was insistent about it. He loved Disney. I think he loved to eat at Disney.  His favorite park was the Magic Kingdom (aka - Disney) He would have gone to EPCOCK every day if we could have pulled it off. Work got in the way. 

Sometimes we would just go out and walk around the world (showcase) and grab something to eat. Other times we would fast pass what we could and stand in line...sometimes.  He was particularly fond of eating at EPCOCK, however. (He never did pronounce that word correctly - and I think he did it on purpose - to make it memorable!) 

We have not missed the Candlelight Christmas Celebration in years and years. Generally we attended a minimum of three performances, often more. It was his favorite event of the year. 

Until our last visit in December, Le Cellier was his all time favorite restaurant. (Not a good review, second time in a row, so we changed our fav.)  

Last year for our Anniversary (#40) he took me to Monsieur Paul.  That would be the AMAZING little French restaurant that is situated above the restaurant at France. It has a beautiful view of the park and we watched the fireworks from our table. It was magical.  Pricey too, but he insisted that I not pay attention to the price that night.  (I always watched the price, he did not.)   

Looking back, I am so thankful that I gave in and said ok to that pricey evening. It took me a lot of years to realize that when Roger wanted to do something really special, it always revolved around a really swell meal! I wish now that I had said yes more often.  This darned obsession we Americans have with diet is not all it is cracked up to be is it?   Would it have really mattered if I waddled around beside him on his search for the next amazing culinary wonder?  Looking at the time I have on my hands now to be able to 'un-waddle' I rather think not. 

I renewed 'our" - now "my" - Annual Pass on our anniversary.  We always bought passes for each other for our anniversary. The gift that keeps on giving - it lasts all year.  I have not been to the parks since May. That is not unusual because I try to avoid the heat like the plague.   These Magic Bands are something new though.  Roger never got to see his because they came out in late February.  I ordered him one anyway. He would have hated it though. He did not wear a watch, so what makes us think he would have worn a magic band! We will want it for the memory. It will be right there with the certificate for his Disney stone - purchased in 1994 when they laid that first sidewalk around Bay Lake. Indeed there we are - right by the monorail ramp to the resorts!  Yes, the man loved Disney! 

It won't be long before I head to the parks with the family again. It can't stay so hot forever. 
It is so different now though. It will never be the same again. And yet - to give it up and stop going would have made him very sad. 

Some people have mountain retreats, some have family beach houses or condos. We have Disney Passes and it was something he wanted us to always enjoy as a family. 

Roger's Lesson: Family is everything. Enjoy being together. Do things together and do it a lot. Don't grow up and grow away from one another. God is the one who designed the family, and He is pretty good at knowing what is best. Follow that lead. 

Indeed - I can hear him saying it now. Nothing pleased him much more than watching his daughters be such good friends as adults. 

Family meant everything to Roger. There is only one family that is bigger and stronger and better than our own tight little bond with each other. That is in being a part of the family of God. Being called a child of God. Being adopted into a family that will live together in love for eternity. 

No, that perfection, perfect love, won't happen here. It can't. None of us are perfect. We all mess things up - quite regularly, actually. It is so wonderful to know that even in the midst of things that get me down, or make me sad, or even cause me to be anxious  - that I can know that it does not have to be that way. God has things under control and when I step back and depend upon Him and let Him lead, I am ok. 

Just like we need the rain in order to appreciate the sunshine, I realize that I still need these times of sadness in order for me to fully appreciate the blessings in my life. 

And as great and magical as the Disney experience might be - we will look back one day and realize that it was absolutely nothing in comparison to the joys of Heaven. 

And I bet the brightness of Heaven's glory may be blinding, but it won't be hot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment