Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

iBike

It is time to clear out the memory file. I take a photo to remind me of a lesson, then get busy and don't write it down. Memories being what they are, it is a smarter thing to go ahead and capture that memory or lesson in more than one way. Writing, for instance.

Senses are important. I miss his touch, his laugh, the sound of his voice. I even miss washing his running clothes. I still have not washed the polo he wore on Monday morning. It is comforting just to smell it. 

It's like the fragrance of his morning coffee.....and I miss it.

Weird?  It does not even matter if it is weird. 

God says that our words and actions are like a sweet fragrance to Him. Hopefully my life is more of a fragrance to Him than an odor. There is a difference.

I took my little trip to Nashville this summer and (Emi)Beth and I spent an afternoon strolling around in Franklin. We recalled strolling with Roger exactly a year before.  I'm sure that we will be forever thankful to Sean and Mary for getting married when they did. It was for that occasion that Roger was in Nashville. He made the trip for his 'little Mary' - the little girl who ALWAYS beat him at cards. He would teach her a game and she would immediately beat him.  

She always thought that she was the winner, even as she was grown. He was really the winner - because she would sit and play cards with him for hours. He had a captive audience! 

We laughed about how Jim liked Starbucks and Roger liked Dunkin' Donuts.  He called Karin and Jim "coffee snobs" although he was never one to turn down any cup of coffee, no matter the brand.

I had a hot chocolate for the memory.  Yes, were married for just short of 41 years and I never learned to like coffee.  I know it will  never happen now.  (But I do like DD hot chocolate better than Starbuck's.)

The bike reminded me of how I hinted in every way possible for an iPhone one Christmas.  I am confident that he let the girls talk him into the gift though. I just KNEW it would be an iPhone because one thing I could count on from Roger was that he would "surprise" me with just what I wanted.  They should have painted that surprise Christmas bike Apple White though.  Like the one in that store window.

Indeed. A bike - with a basket, no less. The first time I rode it a neighbor asked where I left Toto. 

Good grief. 

But I did not stop hinting for that phone - and I got it for my birthday!

Roger's Lesson:  If you really really want something, don't hint. Just say it!  
That is how he applied " ask, and ye shall receive."

Roger always kept me laughing.

I'm really thankful for that week in Nashville 2013. 
I know a lot of other people who are too. 

Spend time with those you love every chance you get!

No comments:

Post a Comment