Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Florida Fire Chief's Memorial

How can something be so hard and so wonderful at the same time? This journey is one of such mixed emotion.  Just when I think that maybe, just maybe, I have adapted and adjusted - something else unexpected comes up. 

Such was the invitation to attend the Florida Fire Chief's Conference in Fort Lauderdale.   

It has been an interesting "Fire Department" journey that we are in the midst of experiencing.  There are so many things about the Fire Service that I had no idea about, much less understand. 

One of those things is the way they honor their own.  I always knew it was a "Brotherhood" - and yet not something I totally understood.  
I always knew that Roger was "on call" if ever a firefighter was in need. No questions - he was there to help. I knew that he worked with some very special people, though I did not know many of them well and most of them, not at all. 

I had this 'sort of' conceptual understanding of how each was willing to stand in harm's way, to risk their own life, for another. It was not something Roger talked about much - but something I saw him live.  He was never one for desiring attention and absolutely hated 'surprises' - and boy, am I ever glad that there is no 'being mad' in Heaven - or a lot of us would be in big trouble when we see him again. 

These firefighters though, honor their own until the very end. They do it well. They do it with perfection. It has been quite an experience. 

As I have learned, the Florida Fire Chief's Association has a memorial service at their conference each year. This is a time, after their Prayer Breakfast (which was quite moving), when they take a few moments to honor and remember those Chiefs who have passed during the previous year.  As one might expect, most were retired, having served many years fighting fires and saving lives.  

Not many guys are 71 with 52 years in the fire service and not yet retired. Roger always did things differently. Since February, I have come to see that I don't think he was ever going to retire on his own. I think he was having too much fun. I also think he thought that retiring meant getting old and frail and sick and dying.   I think that I understand where he was coming from, but it would have been quite fine with me if he kept getting older. 

There is no real way to appreciate the happenings in one of these ceremonies without being there. It is reverent and polished and shows such respect to those who have served and are departed. The photos will help a little. I was not taking photos, so hopefully the experience sunk in on a different level. 

We took our places. Spouse or representative (a Chief) of the deceased on the front row. Families behind. Fire Chiefs from around the state filled the room. 
If there had been a fire, someone surely would have called 911! 

Bagpipes - there are always bagpipes - and an Honor Guard.  A lot of times you see a fife and drum. Firefighters carry an ax. 
The American flag is always presented first and is held higher than all the rest. 
As it should be! 

Department flags follow.  The color guard consists of men and women who volunteer their time and these were from around the state, gathered for this special occasion. All in their dress uniforms too! 


A lot of departments were represented. Florida has 67 counties and there are lots and lots of cities within those counties. There are lots and lots of volunteer fire departments still around too!  


The bagpipes always get me. Roger would always say "no bagpipes for me!"  (oops, we missed that!)   I know why - he knew they would get to me. They do every time. 

They make this really mournful sound, as if someone is singing and in deep deep pain - a deep loss.  I think it is like the soul singing, crying out to God. Even when playing something like Amazing Grace or It is Well With My Soul - there is still this sound of the crying soul.

The first time I saw bagpipes out in force was at the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Savannah, GA.  I gained a new appreciation for the art form. The drums are pretty amazing too - never mind those great legs in knee socks!  (OK - Roger would have been telling me not to be soooo serious!) 


After a short message that both comforted and challenged the families, the name of each firefighter was read as the Final Call bell was rung. 

We could not have been more blessed to have had Orlando Fire Department Chaplain, Ragan Vanderiff reading Roger's name. Roger thought so much of this fine man and was on the scene with him on several occasions over the years.




 This officer rang the Final Call bell. It is a part of the honor ceremony.  "Striking the Four Fives"  is a series of rings from the old fashioned brass fire bell. It represents a ceremonial way of showing honors and has it's origin in the NYC Fire Department  as much as 200 years ago. This was before the use of radios, pagers, fire alarms, cell phones, and texting.   Back then, between telegraph and bell tones, the different stations and departments knew when they had a call. 

When a firefighter died in the line of duty or an officer died, headquarters would transmit five bell strikes, repeated in four series, with a slight pause between each series. followed by the announcement of that officer failing to respond to the call. This of, course, mean that a death had taken place. Just imagine it being so quiet and reverent that you could hear a pin drop - and then the brass bell sounds.


After the sounding of the bell, there was a presentation of a medal on a plaque.  I was thanked for Roger's service to his fellow firefighters as well as to the community he served. 

I think this was the part that was so hard for the kids. It was so moving and yet at the same time, like a fresh wound. Yet, there are times when you have to put your own pain to the side because this was important to the "brotherhood' of men with whom he served. 
It was a an experience we will not forget and meeting some more of the men who worked for and with Roger at one time was wonderful. Many who worked together at KSC went on to become the Chief at other departments throughout the state. 
I'm not so adventurous, so I am pretty happy that he was quite content to serve all of his days at KSC.  Mr "not too flexible' was quite happy there! 
....
We have known Ragan Vandegriff since he was the Minister of Music at First Baptist Orlando. He is such a wonderful man of God and perfectly suited to be the Chaplain of the Orlando Fire Department. He is Orlando's first chaplain and we are blessed that he cares enough to serve his community in this way. 

I had no idea he would be present but it was such a comfort to have Roger's name called out by someone he respected so much. 

I don't know what we were laughing about, but quite possibly about how Roger was likely having the time of his life and probably not at all paying attention to this ceremony. 

This is a beautiful bell and made me recall how Jimmy Dumont worked diligently to put the Honor Guard and Ceremonial Bell together for Roger's service. He enlisted the help of Orlando Fire Department where Roger started his career. Blessings that I was not even aware of in the moment, but slowly the happenings of that week are becoming more vivid in my memory. 

Hopefully, quite soon Jimmy will accept delivery of a KSC bell! 

The plaque and medal were presented to us.  It is still so incredibly weird to see Roger's name on a plaque meant for someone who is departed.  I still find it unbelievable and so often feel like I will wake up from this dream very soon. 

And what is the lesson in all of this?  - I think this one is more for the memory of it all. I think that this lesson is not really something Roger would be fond of at all, because he so did not like attention drawn to him or to things he did. 

When I really get down to it and put Roger's aversion to attention aside, I think I can find a lesson. 

Roger's Lesson:  It is not about the things you collect or the name you make for yourself while you are living on earth that counts for anything. It is where you choose to spend your eternity, and what you are doing to further the kingdom of God that really matters.  When you cast your crowns at the feet of Jesus, just make sure that what you were doing was meaningful in light of eternity.

Yes - I think Roger much preferred  to get his 'reward' in Heaven rather than on earth. 

He lived it right, and I rather believe he achieved both.  At least to those of us who knew and loved him - he really was a true example of a hero - both for Christ and for mankind.

Thank you, Florida Fire Chief's Association, for the way you honor those who live a selfless life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment