Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Heart Clenching Pain

Memorial Day weekend. I head off to church thinking about the blessing we still have in this country. I thought about all of the older gentlemen in our church who served during their lifetimes. You can almost always pick out a former soldier in a crowd. There is just something about the way they carry themselves - a certain pride, not in themselves, but in the freedoms they fought to preserve.

Roger never had to go overseas, but many of his friends did serve on the ground in Vietnam. Shameful the way America treated those who returned. Shameful if any vet is treated any way but honorably. I love this country, but don't always support the decisions being made by those powers that be.

The message Sunday was about government and our response and responsibility to it. It was an outstanding message with a whole lot of food for thought! 

I love patriotic music - US Marine Band, Air Force Band, anyone who plays God and Country music - Wow!  I'm not sure where my brain was when asking Debbie to sing something patriotic for Roger's service. It is not like I couldn't have asked for any song that was not sung frequently. Oh no. Memories do these interesting things. When something big or important, or traumatic, happens in your life, your mind involves all of the senses and records those memories.

The video started - flag waving, eagle - flashback to Feb. 15.   I had seen this many many times on many patriotic occasions, but my mind flashed to Feb. 15.

Thank goodness this was not a solo, though I love Debbie's solos. There she was, singing with the worship team, "God Bless America, Land that I love...."  Flashback.  I knew in an instant that this was not a flashback that was mine alone. I knew that as much as I could only see myself on that front row, praying Debbie through that song on Feb. 15, I could also only see Roger and flowers, and men in uniform, and a preacher -- -  and what I try to say is just a sort of surreal departure is actually real.  

I knew Debbie was probably having as much of a tightening around her heart as I was that morning.  I wanted to run away, but as I stood with my hands clasped, I just thanked God for Roger's life and that I got to share it, and I prayed for Debbie who had to be having a most difficult challenge on that stage. Somehow we got through it, and I know people were blessed. .... and she was praying for me as I was praying for her. So special. 

...."Stand be side her, and guide her, through the night with a light from above...."

That has more meaning now than just as a patriotic song.  As God desires to guide this nation, He still guards and guides those individuals within the nation who still trust and believe in Him. 

...."from the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam..."   Oh the freedom we still have to travel this beautiful country of ours. And it is not just the places, but the people you meet....that was Roger's only real reason for traveling anywhere.

...."God bless American, my home sweet home!"

Roger's Lesson:  Trave anywhere and everywhere in this world that the doors of opportunity will take you, but don't forget the place where God placed you. We are particularly blessed as a people. A melting pot, meant to bring out the best in each of us. The heat from that melting pot is meant to refine what is not the best and take the best in each of us to make it better.  Like seasonings make things better.  Contribute to what makes things better. Serve others, share that only Christ makes things truly better. Live in such a way that others know that there is something different guiding you. 

That's a pretty big message, but we have a pretty big country too. And yet, it really is that simple. He loved learning about other people, their journey, their lives, their influences. He loved being an American.  "American by birth, Christian by choice," he would say.   

His heritage might have been Polish and Romanian, but he called himself American.  
Melting Pot - that is what he called American. The best of everyone, but only the best if you want to be called American.  

Roger would have loved the sermon about government and our response to it. He would have loved the teaching about moral law, civil law, and ceremonial law. He would have known as much about it as the preacher, but he would have loved listening and agreeing. He would have been sad that we as a country have strayed so far from God's moral law.

"What anyone decides to do or believe is their business," he would say. "I did not make up God's moral law, He did." And we always agreed that it was possible to love anyone, but not have to agree about everything,  because most matters (particularly moral issues) are between the individual and God anyway.    "It is better to be respected than liked" he would tell the girls so often when they were growing up. And he lived that way too. 

And yet, everyone seemed to like Roger. Even those who did not agree with him.  
So what started out hard and emotional, ended up with a very powerful and challenging message for me. 

And then another video and bagpipes. Bagpipes - all I can hear is "I DO NOT want bagpipes at my funeral." but he would never say why. Now I know. Every time you hear them it just brings tears.  I find myself wondering if he heard that bagpipes at Calvin Bookhart's funeral - his mentor of his youth, and they evoked really strong memories for him. He never said. But I think I understand now. 

So I'll train my memory to only tear up when I hear Amazing Grace or It is Well with my Soul on the bagpipes. And I won't sing anything but the last verse in my head!  

And I will always thank those who were wiling to give their lives for others, whether in the military, or a first responder in the homeland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment