Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Trash Line

How is it possible that it is Thursday again? Where did the days go? Tiredness is overwhelming at the moment and even sleep does not seem to help. This time though, it is that physical, pain in the joints ~ clear down to your bones kind of tired. It is not the emotional, why can't I get out of this funk, kind of tired. 

I guess busy-ness really is distracting. I am back into this multi-tasking, plate spinning, keep all the gears running kind of busy. 
Plenty of things are coming together. Paperwork load is reducing and other kinds of paperwork surfaces, but hopefully, things will be in order in another month. That is like seeing light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

The 'move' project is just about complete. The moving part is over, but I can't knock something off my list until the last bit of decorating suits me. The person who invented the cordless electric screwdriver was a  genius! Busy busy. I have hit the point where if I sit down, I fall asleep.

When you move stuff and eliminate stuff, that of course, calls for a garage sale. I love Karin's approach - 'don't make it a department store or an event, mom, just put it out and sell it, take the rest to Goodwill.'  Yea for Goodwill Express. Open on Saturdays.  Perhaps being exhaustingly tired makes it easier to part with stuff and just send it on to Goodwill! 

And is is the OCD-ness in me that makes one pile of 'treasures' turn into to the urgent need to open yet another closet door, and then to check out paint chips so a paint job can be carried out while the place is so uncluttered. And then there is the dust rag. These things never seem to end! 

There has to be a minimalist somewhere within me - it wants desperately to get out! 

I'm pretty sure Roger would  be scratching his head and wonder why we work so hard to throw things away, and also why we bought the stuff in the first place. 

For the past few days, along with the piles and piles of everything in my living room, I have toted many filled trash cans to the street. Trash - paper related products, some recyclable.  Garbage - food related products and byproducts.  We are talking trash here, not garbage! 

And I can almost hear Roger say - "You need to stop. You need to sit down and take a break. You need to just let it go and quit working on this so hard.'   He would be right. It would have been a whole lot more fun to make several trips throughout the last few days and bless my Goodwill Express. The money you get for a garage sale is about 30 cents per hour. 

My cans runneth over. 

And so I stopped. And I thought about empty trash cans. Then I thought about empty trash cans upside down. Then I thought about high school kids beating the heck out of those galvanized cans while playing some pretty interesting 'music' - cadences they are called. I can hear it beating in my head. I'm smiling just thinking of the headaches I endured while the kids learned those rhythms (the ones I was always a half beat off on)  I am recalling their trash line jumpsuits and their crazy colored converse. I am recalling the enthusiasm and the great work ethic of the kids, and I think about ho much fun we all had in band. Hard work. Good fun. Roger loved watching them perform. 

I'm going to listen tonight and call it a day. I will drift off to sleep with the unmistakable da da dadada da da beating in my head. And I will think about Roger pacing himself. 

And I am glad he did....he might not have made it to 71 and a bit if he had rushed through life. 

I need to focus on that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment