Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, May 16, 2014

History Repeats

John Harold 1944 
Proud to be an American. That was Roger, through and through. He was proud to have served in the Army - a medic attached to a Ranger battalion. He always made light of it if you could ever get him to talk about it, but I'm sure that even in his "youth" he took his assignment seriously. Heroes do that. They don't talk so much about the things they do. Find just about anyone who is in the military, and you'll likely find the same thing.

World War II Vets are like that. My dad served in the Navy, War in the Pacific.  He talked about Papau New Guinea and sitting on the bow of the ship a lot, but he would not talk about the "action" on more than a couple of occasions. I wish we had pushed for more information. Roger's dad was the same. He served in the Patton's Third Army in Europe, entering at Cherbourg after D-Day. I have discovered a bit more about his journey, but not because he talked about it too much.  Oh, to have even a day with each of them to find out more. Willingness to put your life on the line for someone you don't even know. That is more than admirable. Not as many Americans are cut out for it as they once were.

Matthew is like that. Roger loved to talk about Matthew and his dreams. He read books about the Navy Seals all the time. If Matthew was interesting in it, the he was interested as well. He knew what it was like to pursue a dream, and he also knew the danger. It is a hard thing to let the one you birthed head off into a life of great danger, great sacrifice. Today I am thinking a lot about my sister. This can not be an easy day. Pride in his accomplishments, yes...but the fear of the great unknown. Even more, the wonder about the decisions being made by those in charge, in recent years at least.  But, we know that God has Matthew in the palm of His hand.

It is such an interesting combination of emotions - pride, love, concern, joyfulnesss, tears, and even inklings of fear about the future. As intensely as I feel these things today, I know they are much more intense for Beth, Jim, Mary (the girl twin) and Sam.  And yes, Carie...young love is so hopeful and exciting and has such a great outlook for the future and this has to be scary as well.

Matthew has his PIR - Pass in Review - graduation ceremony this morning. The family is very excited for him and it is guaranteed that if Roger were here, he would be glued to the computer screen, even though he did not like computers. Live Streaming.  The moments are ticking by as I write - and I have his screen open in another window! Not to be missed!

Roger would be recalling this photo of my dad and talking about how much Matthew looked like him. I can't wait to see a photo of him in his navy whites, just like his grandpa. Roger would be recalling those stories of the War in the Pacific, San Diego, stuff he paid attention to and I clearly did not. He would be anticipating what Matthew's next step would be like. He would know a lot more than I do about the Navy, The Seals, the life and the dangers.

Today while I pray for the family of this young man who makes me so proud, I am also praying for those who lead this country. I am praying that they will turn their hearts toward God and follow His leading in their decision making. Some do. I know this. There are amazing Chaplains still around to lead these young men, no matter what the media has to say about wiping them out. I also know that God is more powerful than any power on earth, though He does allow us to go ahead and make our own stupid choices and suffer the awful consequences. Roger reminded me of that all the time.

Boy, I really miss him today. I have not cared about the news, the happenings in the world, the politics of America.....since Feb. 10.   I am sure all of that will come back one day, but right now, I don't care about anything that might upset me and that I can't get back into perspective without Roger.  I am finding that I loved politics because he did.

Roger's Lesson:  I know he would tell me to keep caring about the politics of this great nation - and that it was once greater than it is now - but that can change too. I know he would tell me to always pray for those making the decisions for our military and especially to keep praying for Matthew - well, that is a given, not needing a reminder.  I know that he would say that the great nations throughout history have trusted God to lead them. And I know that he would say to know history and not repeat the mistakes. Learn from what has happened in the past.

Now, it just makes me smile to think about sitting and talking about current politics, recent history, and his take on prophecy as related to all of this. I really miss it.

I hope someone takes a photo of Matthew today as he looks much like grandpa did!

Sam and Matthew
2013
Ralph and John (Harold)
1950







Matthew and Carie right after the ceremony!
Congratulations, Sailor!




No comments:

Post a Comment