Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Off The Curb

Navy is on my mind today. I'm not sure why, but I have been dreaming of ships, Navy ships. 

I think that God often uses that time between sleep and awake to prompt us to think of others who need special attention for one reason or another. Sometimes I have the most random thoughts, but it always seems to turn out that there was something going on that I did not know about, when extra prayers really do make a difference. 

People do that for me, I just know it. In a mysterious kind of way, I can feel it, and I feel it a lot lately. Maybe it is just that extra ability to focus when normally you would not. Maybe it is that extra umph you need to just keep going. Prayer is just that extra fuel in your tank, and so often, you can't put it there yourself.

So today I am thinking of my young Navy man, Matthew.  He reminds me a lot of my dad and I am looking forward to seeing him in his dress whites - and very soon, I expect. He has had this dream - this goal - and has held onto it for quite a number of years now. This is an interesting thing when kids are in high school, because they tend to dream but not always to stick with it long enough to reach their goal. They get into college and flitter and float all over the place, searching for a need to be grounded. 

Matthew is well grounded. Grounded in his faith, in his goals, in what he wants in life.  Often it scares me because I don't tend to have as much faith in the powers that be (governmentally speaking) as I once did. It is a remarkable thing to be willing to give your life for another. Most of us don't think in that direction. First Responders do. Our military and our Fire, Police, EMTs and others think that way too. They see the bigger picture and are willing to give their lives even when other people are just stupid or self centered. I don't get it. I don't like to see life ended senselessly. But, so much like Roger, Matthew sees the bigger picture and he is willing to step up to the plate.

Of course, he is a bit isolated at the moment, so it is not as easy to know what exactly is going on in his life, during all of this training. The most remarkable thing about prayer is that as I ask God to continue to watch over Matthew (which is actually, a silly request, because He is ALWAYS watching over His children) - it does not really matter that "I" know what he needs right now, because God does.  I pray that he stays healthy and safe. I pray that he learns those lessons that are so necessary in the military - following commands, acting quickly, staying focused, building a brotherhood where you each have the others' back - all of the stuff that Roger talked about so often. I also pray that Matthew's life will make an impact on those around him.  I pray that others will come to know Jesus because they see Jesus in him. And I pray for Matthew to be a part of a really strong and powerful military that is fervent in their belief in Christ as a supreme commander. He is the only one who really 'has their backs."

It is an interesting thought for morning because I have not watched TV news for more than a few seconds since Feb. 10.  It is me that is isolated from the world in that TV news sense.  I miss it, and I don't. It is not the same without Roger to give me his historical/biblical perspective on what is going on around us.   He knew that Matthew was going to have a tough job before him. While he would rather that he be safe, he also recognized a calling when he saw one. And he believed that Matthew felt he was called for this journey.

Roger made it 52 years in the fire service without ever being injured during a fire/rescue call. That is a remarkable statistic. Yet he died only a few blocks from home on a very ordinary day.  
I pray the same for Matthew  - that he has the career and calling he believes in, but that God will deliver him safely through it. And I pray that like Roger, he does not enter eternity until he has lived a good and long (though not long enough) life - on a very ordinary day, doing very ordinary things. 

Roger's Lesson:  They both had the same perspective about dangerous jobs. "You could die stepping off a curb and getting hit by a bus"  so you might as well do what God has called you to do.

Whatever you need today, Matthew, God knows better than I - but I will keep asking for his attention in your life. You are special - oh so special!   Love you and can't wait to see how handsome you are going to look in your new uniform! 






No comments:

Post a Comment