Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Look Up

As I stay "in" on this rainy morning, taking a break from cleaning and putting things in order, of course I checked in to FB. It is only normal, right? That piece of technology that connects to FB just stares at you when you pass through a room. It beckons me  to come and sit a while.  I don't always comply, but I do often enough.

This little video was posted by a friend and something compelled me to click. 



Wow. A message worth hearing. Roger could have delivered this little video clip. 
It made me cry at the end. 



 http://blog.petflow.com/this-is-a-video-everyone-needs-to-see-for-the-first-time-in-my-life-im-speechless/

The tears were sad, and yet happy. That is such a weird thing. 

While I don't find myself totally absorbed in technology, certainly I am often enough. I'm not coordinated enough to walk down the street and text or read at the same time, so I still see people on the street. I could stand to interact more though.

The happy tears made me really glad that 'back in the day' we did not have all of this technology in or hands. We talked to people, yes, even strangers.  

It also made me think about Roger and his lack of a need for so many of the things that we call 'necessary' in this life of ours. It used to frustrate me that he could not seem to remember how to check a voicemail or send a text.  Now, I find myself wishing he were here so that I could laugh about it with him. 

There is something especially sweet about the fact that Roger managed to successfully navigate this earthly existence without a need for technology. He would have been fine with an analog anything - or even a rotary dial. He did not have a need for a microwave and never did totally figure out any remote control gadget. The kindle was well beyond him.

And these new fangled cars that talk to you and call people. Nonsense, he would say! A GPS? Why not use a map, you can fold it so many different ways! 

No...it was not for lack of intelligence that Roger did not gravitate towards these things. It was because it left out personal contact. Wow. How so many of us miss out on that little thing almost every day of our lives. 

Roger's Lesson for the day - oh it is in that video clip - and it is spot on!

I am so glad that we both looked up over 41 years ago. If we had not, we might have missed each other. It makes me especially miss the good old days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment