Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chief

February 18, 2015

"Just for a visit"

"I told him that he was going to Camp Juci"

Roger should be rolling over in his grave. How many times do we say that with a sense of humor?  It does not sound fitting or much like a sense of humor, and yet, it is what Roger would say.

A dog. In our house.  Roger would say that this entire family has lost its entire mind.

Roger met Kellen - the blind poodle. He fell in love, but he was always one for the downtrodden. He welcomed Kellen and they were pretty close - well, when Karin was away.  

I sort of took over by default when she traveled. We became friends. Of sorts. Kellen always loves Karin the best though. He was lost without Roger though.

Then came the greyhound, Iron. That is one big dog. I can not believe I let him in my house, but there are times when one lowers their standards without thinking.  OK - he is pretty lovable, as much as a greyhound can be lovable. He is beginning to interact in a playful way.  He owns Jim. He still lets Jim think he owns the house, but we all know who the Alpha male is in that household. Iron.

This can NOT happen to me. An animal can NOT become alpha in my house.  But those eyes. That personality. Oh GOOD GRIEF!

Laura and Caroline have lives that are becoming increasingly busy. Laura asked for prayer to find a home for this great dog - someone who is old, does not get out much, needs someone to sit on the couch with her and just put his adorable little head on her lap....  Ok, I could help her pray for that.  And then she said.......JUDI!    Oh NO!  

I succumbed and allowed a visit. Ok, a trial weekend. And then I was hooked.  Well - maybe the kids were hooked first but it did not take me too long.  What a great little 'old' dog.  And what a little blessing he is.

I don't really know what Roger would say about all of this because we never wanted a dog. We had a cat, but only because Kristin left him behind when college came around. Thankfully Roger outlived the cat for I do not know how I would have handled that one! (Like the Egyptians, I always told him - you go and the cat goes with you. It would have been the only personal belonging he had for the afterlife. ha ha! )  

I love pets - the ones that belong to other people.

But to own one - well - we shall see. I never thought it would be me.  I am pretty much hooked now.

Roger's Lesson:   Do what makes you healthy and happy. If you are going to have a dog though, give him a good name and make him be responsible and well trained. Don't let him annoy people. 

Thankfully this one came well trained.
He does not beg for food, he does not jump in my lap.
He walks in front of me and stops to see if I am safely following.
He waits at a step until I go up or down, then leads again to see that I am safe.
He alerts when someone is at the door. (And I think he might eat a wicked person)

He still loves his "Den" when I need to leave the house.
The other dogs taught him doggie manners and he learned quickly that Kellen is frail and Iron is boss and that he is third man on the totem pole and he better like that just fine.

And he does.

Yes Sir, Chief Tome --- you would be pretty proud of us.


That is exactly why we gave him a red collar and named him after YOU!  
(Of course, the bling on his collar is for me.)

Welcome to the family, "CHIEF"

1 comment:

  1. A good story, but I never called Roger "Chief." We have always had dogs so it is a way of life for us. I will say that 3 is a big step, but it seems to be working. I don't think Roger would mind at all.

    ReplyDelete