Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Lilies of the Field

He cares about the lilies of the field - or so the Bible tells me - so He cares about me so very much more.

How amazing is that!

And it is true - indeed - I know it is true.

The beautiful lilies - and the perfectly white roses that arrived the other day have been a perfect reminder to me all week. He cares. And it is not only God that cares, but the amazing friends and family in my life care too.

But more than that. They pray.

I don't know of a better way to share love to one another than to know that you will pray for them and they will pray for you. It is an open door to our Father, in Heaven. To the Creator of the entire universe. To the One who has known you from the very moment you became a being - or in modern terms, a little tiny blob.  He has known all about me - and you - from before the time that I breathed my first breath, cried my first tear, touched my first human person.  And not only that - He knows every little thing that will take place until I draw my last breath.

Yes, I know that not everyone believes this, but that is the wonderful thing about America. Everyone does not have to. I can believe it, because I have experienced it.  I can not comprehend how someone can possibly not care to experience this type of love and acceptance, but that is a choice, one that is not mine to make.

These beautiful flowers are on a lovely piece of furniture in the foyer of my home. I pass by them several times a day and each time I pass, I have stopped to admire their beauty.

Generally lilies have this overwhelmingly sweet fragrance, but these do not. They are beautiful without giving me that lily headache. And a week later - they are still beautiful!

And the roses - that delicate, sweet fragrance reminds me that God desires to hear from me and that it is like that same sweet fragrance of the roses. Pleasant, wonderful, enjoyable. And these roses are perfectly white. They have stayed perfectly white all week as they have slowly opened from beautifully shaped buds to fully open roses. There are no dark spots on them. This is rare with white flowers.

I just feel like it is reminding me each day of the perfection I can find in Christ. No errors, no ill will, no desire for anything but goodness. Truth, beauty, honesty, purity....all those really great qualities that we all wish we had and try to have, but we know that we lack perfection in them.

It is really nice to have things around me - little gifts like this - that not only bring beauty into my life but they remind me of special friends who sent them. They remind me of Jesus each time I see them. They remind me of the perfection I will only see in Heaven - in Eternity.

Roger's Lesson:  Love your flowers, but they are temporary. Let them remind you that this is a journey. It is temporary. It is far from perfect. It is practice.  Focus on the eternal. 

Yes - We have good, we have bad. We have happiness and sadness. But all of it together helps to make us the people that we are and the way we handle circumstances makes us bitter or better.

I won't be bitter. I just won't allow it of myself because that not only hurts me, but it hurts those I love.

It is a weird concept to think of pain and sadness making us better - but I do believe it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment