Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Mending

February 27, 2015

It was a big surprise!
And it came all the way from Honduras.

Last night I slept for 12 hours. Imagine that, after sleeping most of the day as well. God knew that I would need it!



My ride arrived bright and early for the appointed day was upon me. Yesterday I was not sure I would feel like going anywhere for a while - but I was determined to optimistically 'Push Through."

This morning I got up and felt great. Imagine that!

Emily had been hard at work from many miles away to create a special surprise for her mom. I was blessed to be a part of it, even though neither one of us had a clue what was about to take place.

Eddie delivered the envelopes at the appointed time, and we were told to follow directions. This would have been a really tough directive if Janie and I were not so absolutely obedient!

Envelope #1 contained a puzzle - one of those cryptogram things that totally confuse me. We put our brains together - as Eddie looked on with the most puzzled expression. He knew the answer and we almost missed it on the first try. Ok, we did miss it, but figured it out by the time we got to the end of the puzzle.  11 am is far to early to be doing puzzles.

Destination - THE COOP!  What a fun place to have lunch. When it is a blustery day - as it was today - it is even more fun. Warm, yummy, comfort food. "Best Chicken Pot Pie  - EVER!"

By the end of the day we would realize that we lingered too long, but OH - to sit on the porch (enclosed, of course) and chat....what fun!  Great friend, great food.  It makes me think of how amazing it will be one day to sit at the feet of Jesus AND be able to do it with lifelong friends!



We actually saw this sign on the wall as we parked the car. It was such a perfect message.....like God's handwriting on the wall!
Here I am, determined to stick with it and 'MEND' and Janie, who was in the hospital at the same time as me (only we did not know we could have waved to each other across the courtyard)...was also in the mending phase of her life.

There is no way that Emily could have known she would be a part of a pretty large message from above!



Service - remember my day at the Post Office?  We must have been quite the site, just trying to do a selfie with two selfs and this big ole sign.  A sweet lady with a little girl stopped and asked if she could help. We were excited and handed her not one, but two phones. She kept taking photos until she got it just like she wanted it! WOW.  We found out later that they had stopped to run to the restroom.   But she made a stop on her way and was a blessing to us. I hope her day was especially blessed. I bet it was - I bet she did stuff like that often.

ENVELOPE PLEASE!

This time we had to read some little poems and fill in the blank.
The little thing that looks like a coaster is actually a gift certificate.
Upcoming - a visit to the pottery studio to create a little work of art!

Where did Emily get this idea?

It was a lot of fun. This place has been in business around 18 years, and yet, I have never stopped in. For some reason, back in the fall, I had been thinking about creating a special plate for some special reason. I have no idea what I was thinking back then, but that I can remember that I thought about it is a step in the right direction.

At least it narrowed down the choices!  A plate it would be.  Janie decided on a plate as well.

Janie is faster with decisions than I am. She collects snowmen, so she painted herself and Eddie, disguised as snow people.  I taught her to use a ruler as a mahl stick so she could steady her mending hand.  See how we are learning that ALL THINGS CAN MEND!   Good therapy, Janie!

As is typical, I had no idea where I was going, but I love that design element called "repetition." I use it a lot. Some people call it redundant.
It works like this - Repetition. Pick a mark. Do it over and over in a spaced out areas and it becomes a design. Design - that is art!

I don't have too much trouble handling a paintbrush and though rusty, thankfully the skill returned quickly. It was a good reminder about how much I love to paint and how much I really need to get those brushes back in my hands again.

Interestingly, in wondering what I really ought to be doing with my time - the long or short of it - painting is one of the things that I listed as one of the desires of my heart.  Emily would have had not way of knowing this either!   But God did - and Emily allows herself to be used of God.

Janie had a good time and learned a few speedy skills. Whew - there is still some art teacher in me.  Keep it Simple, Silly! (The KISS principle)

Once again, we lingered, but since art is a right brained activity - you legitimately lose all sense of time. And so we did.  We turned in our creations for firing and they will be ready next week - all bright and shiny!

ENVELOPE PLEASE!

The next envelope required that we recall our history lesson. Thank goodness Janie knew a song!
I did the backup clue which required the math - and we both came out with the answer! Imagine that!
1814
And then filling in letters in another spelling game until we were able to spell Edgewater.
Ah....close to home!

Eddie called, and we missed him because the handbag was on the floor and Janie was driving and little ole ladies should not be messing with technology while driving anyway.  It turned out to be an important call, but we were making our way around the golf course - ending up almost where we started - but we laughed a lot.  Laughter doeth good - like a medicine.
And medicine MENDS.  (No bad side effects either!)

We finally made our way to 1814.
We thought it might involve caffeine.
It did not.
It was a flower shop.
It was closed. We were lost in our right brains...and trying to get around a golf course...and they locked the door right before Eddie arrived to save the day for us. Of course, we did not know he was doing that because - that phone and driving thing.

But we know that Eddie will save the day anyway!

Roger's Lesson:  Friends - best things to collect on earth. EVER.  Timing - I don't think you will ever get it, sweetie. Just be sure that you don't miss the Rapture. You really have to plan for that one in advance! 

Oh - don't worry about that! I will not miss the Rapture!  That is sealed with the blood of Christ!

In all of my random-ness and repetition while painting, this is what came out of my paintbrush.
It should be deep teal and fire engine red when it is fired.  Teal for me. Fire engine red for Roger.

Perfect colors for us.

The script. It is just what God placed on my heart in the moment.

"All things work together for good for those who love Him. " 

I do love Him. I also believe this journey is working for good, even though I often don't understand it.

In the center...
"As for my God - His ways are perfect!"

The most wonderful thing is that I do not have to understand why things happen as they do, or why the timing is what it is when traumatic times come - I just have to know that God's ways are perfect. He has shown this to me time and again, and I can say that while I mend - I am at peace.
I am enjoying each day with most wonderful friends. I will take one day at a time. I will enjoy the fact that I can sense the presence of Christ in so many different ways.  I can rejoice that on January 5, I was not at all certain that I would live to see April 1, but today I feel that God is indeed mending me and though I may not know for how long, I do know that He numbers my days, not me.

Even more....

There is no way that Emily could have known what God was going to place on my heart at this particular time, on this particular day. But she was a part of it. Because, His ways are perfect.

Blessing =  Emily.
Thank you for blessing us today in a very unexpected but absolutely wonderful way.


2 comments:

  1. Ditto. What a blessed day. Emily is amazing and thoughtful and we were her recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet day with a dear, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete