Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, February 6, 2015

That Light

2015

Time is that elusive thing. Never enough of it, yet we all get  exactly the same amount of it each and every day. The true equalizer, they say.

A few years ago we (FBCCF) installed this great cross on the church property. It is 199 feet high - just high enough to make the limit BEFORE you have to put an ugly red light on top so the airplanes won't hit it.

On the dedication evening, we got to watch the sun set and the lights focused on the cross begin to light up as dusk became dark. It was such a great visual to see - when there is light in the world, the cross is not as evident, because the light is spread all around. But when darkness takes over, it takes precious little light to illuminate the cross, but when much light is present, the cross is so brilliant that all can be
drawn there.

I love driving across 408 in the darkness - seeing the Cross lets me know that I am almost home.

Roger's body is resting right near that cross too! Woodlawn is almost across the street. If you can't have a lovely little church cemetery, I guess you couldn't ask for better than that.

Of course, as he would say..."I'm not there!"  I know...he is already enjoying the beauty of Heaven. And as much as I still miss him, I can't say that it would be right for me to beg him to give it up.
I am just blessed to have the memories.

And the two precious baby girls!

Life offers us so many choices - especially in this generation. So many things cry out for our attention. I am continually grateful that he/we made the choice to invest where things really count. And things really only count for eternity.

It soothes my soul when I am most lonely. It calms me when sadness overtakes me.
It brings me laughter when I think of the precious friends we have - because Christ brought them into our lives. And it brings me joy to know that we will spend eternity together.

Roger's Lesson: Keep investing in things that really matter. 

Yes - it is the only way to live.

1 comment: