Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Stick Success

February 26, 2015

When I think of Roger, one of the first qualities that I think of is that of servant.  He was always helping someone.

No matter where we were, his eyes were moving to and fro, keeping a look out for someone who might need something.  They might need a quarter, they might need help with a bag, they might just need a smile or a laugh....he was there to deliver.

I always think that I am observant - in an artistic kind of way - but in a people kind of way, well, not so much.

Jim is much like Roger in this. Always willing to lend a hand, even if you don't think you need a hand.  He says to the kids all the time "see the need."   I think it is a really good and simple way to teach them to see what others might need.  Sometimes I know he thinks they will never get it - but they do.

FINALLY, I gained permission to drive. Yes, me. Old lady. Been driving for decades. Yet my precious and protective daughter finally gave me permission to drive to the post office. By myself! In the driver's seat!  AHHHHHH FREEDOM!

Do you ever think you just HAVE to do something, but then find out later that it might have not been as easy a project as you thought it might have been?

Today.
Me.
Three envelopes in the zipper pocket of my cross body bag.
One puffy mailing envelope
One smallish box weighing less than 1.5 pounds.
One key ring containing 3  PO Box keys - on a loop, attached to finger.
One hiking stick (Canes are not as fashionable)

Simple, right?

Oh, yea for the Handicap tag and front parking place!

What God showed me in this little adventure was how many times during this little 15 minute journey that I would have appreciated a hand - ah, if one had been offered.

Car door open. Everything in hands...how do you close the door with bad hips? - push it a little and be glad you are in an ok neighborhood and do have insurance in case of theft.

Door - those things are heavy. People inside the glass don't see you. Wait for the exit door to open. Three times, not one held it or saw the old lady with the stick.  Finally after leaning backwards on the in door -which was heavy - someone opened from the inside and I almost fell - in.  Whew. Good save.

Long line at the self mailer station.  Moved to put packages on a shelf so I could stand for a while. Two people got in line while I moved. Oh well.

I am pretty swift with the machine - so packages ready for stickers - two trips to the table. Apologize that next person had to wait a second.

Lady two back had one tiny package and a baby and asked lady in front (The one behind me) if she could possibly do a quick one.  Lady said - no, you can stand in line like everyone else.  Nice.  Wish she had been behind me. At least I would have let her go first.

Three trips to the mailing bin to put packages and envelopes in. Hobble Hobble with stick.

Ah....now the PO Boxes.  Oh Roger - how you loved exercise. Two of the three are on the BOTTOM row and one is three rows up.    No bending over.. Hmm...this was fun.  Lean to the left on mailboxes and try not to lose balance to get key in box.  Pull out junk mail. Pick up mail in all three boxes in hands, stand up, drop half of it. Pick it up. Drop keys.   People in line are watching.
Use stick to pick up keys - yea for that pick on the end of the walking stick.

To the desk to sort and toss out junk mail. Lots of it. Pick up everything and head to the car.

Heavy door. Again.  Stand beside door and when next person comes up and pushes, step forward so I can go out first and say "Thank you So much!"....not sure that is what they intended though.

Success....almost.   Get to car. Open door which is unlocked thankfully - drop car keys.

Toss mail on the seat, lean on door, navigate and go fishing for the keys using the hiking stick.  After 5 tries...hiking stick success!!!  Two people in parking lot talking and watching.

Now - I as I write this, I almost find myself laughing in comic relief - and yet, having lived it, I realized today how many times I might have been those very same people around me. I would likely have been so absorbed in my own task or conversation that I missed the opportunity to be a blessing to someone else.

Did you see any needs?  A place to lend a hand even though one was not requested?

Roger would NEVER have let any of this happen. He would have seen the need. He would have opened doors, carried packages, opened mailboxes, carried mail to the car and made sure the person - any person - was safely in the car before he left them.   He would have driven the person home and walked back to his car if he felt it needful.

I would have done some of the same, but likely not all.  I don't think.
I do think so now though.

Roger's Lesson: Look around. There is always a need and what you have to do probably is not the most important thing in the whole day. It only takes seconds to lend a hand. 

Maybe that is why he went in and out so many times a day. Maybe each time he left the house for some random errand that he did one at a time (where I would have bundled them) - maybe he was also seeing the needs around him each and every time - and assisting.

God showed me today that there are ways that even the weakest of us - me right now- can make someone else's life a bit better by just lending a hand for the simplest of things.

Let someone in line in front of you. Hold a door, even if you have to lean on it. ...

Hopefully the next time I get "Freedom Privileges" - I will see the need and act on it.
As long as it is a safe way to help for me, at the moment. Baby steps right now.

I made it home safe and sound, but I bet I was more exhausted than I really needed to be.

I thought of so many friends who offer so much to help me, yet I continually say I can handle things right now. I want to stay independent. Yet - independent me could have really used a hand today.

Very interesting lesson.

Thank you, Lord, for being the example of a servant while you walked this earth. Thank you for giving us Roger, who exemplified servanthood all the time. Thank you for making me aware of what I can improve on.

Thank you too, that sometimes you let us learn lessons the hard way so that we can actually 'get it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment