Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Flare!

February 26. 2015

It is one of those days. The blustery wind is blowing in from the east - or maybe the west. And it is cold. And it is damp.

For those with creaky (aka arthritic) bones, that means owie!  Our bones tell us that there is a weather change before we can even see it!

Evidently there was a lot of really crazy wind around 3 AM.
I did not hear it. Sleep - I do that well.

Morning started off with my dental appointment. I love going to the dentist. Crazy, right? Who loves going to the dentist?  I have a GREAT dentist and I love to hear him tell me that I need to hurry on out because he does not make any money from me.

So, given that most of my support system for this old body is having a fit right now, I was eager to hear someone say - "you are in great shape."   I also love hearing people tell me that I look great and sound great. And they wonder if I am even sick. WOW - that thrills my soul!   At least what I feel on the inside does not always show on the outside.

Thanks 'old doc' for making my day!  Teeth and gums are GREAT!  Thanks Donna for being so gentle with the cleaning and for making me sparkle!

Oh - the little things that God gives me each day that really are such big things!

I have known Dr. Avriett for over 42 years. Roger introduced me to his dentist when we were engaged. Prior to that, I was like most Americans who hated going to the dentist. It was scary and it hurt.  Not with Dr. Avriett. Gentle soul.  He and Roger loved talking football. I used to wonder why it took Roger so long at the dentist...half a day, it seemed.  I finally learned that first they talked football then got around to the teeth.  And of course, Roger had to visit with everyone in the office.

There are some great things to be said for longevity!  New friends are great, but friends that you have had for almost a lifetime - even if you only see them twice a year - and can't talk too much -  well they are pretty special too. More special when you know that you will all have eternity for all of that catching up!

While my mouth is strong and sparkly, I still have another battle raging today. Oh. My. Goodness.  It is like bubble wrap popping inside my body. Mostly in my back, but all over!  Tumor Flare is back and it must be a real war - real defeat of c-cells that is going on today!

I am just taking this as announcement from God that today is a day for R and R....rest and relaxation.  If I just consume a lot of water so those dead cells get flushed on out, it is as if that Living Water is flowing through me and giving me new life.

When I think of the ways that God can heal - and He is indeed the Great Physician - I also think about the fact that he sort of expects me to help out a bit. And today, that means resting. Not just sleeping or doing nothing, but rather, resting in Him.

I guess it is a foreign concept to some - but it really is incredible the way He refreshes not only my body but also my soul as I read scripture and journals and even when I google around and try to understand more about what is happening in this old body.  It makes me appreciate wellness more than I ever have, and even makes me long for that perfect body I will have in Heaven.

But for today, it is quiet and reflection and thanking God that He is in control of this journey of mine. And for the long - or even the short of it, it is His story that needs to be told.

And Roger's Lesson:  He would be here cheering me on and telling me to rest, and cooking up something warm and yummy in the crock pot. And he would say ' God tells us all the time to BE STILL - it is the only real way to Know Him."  

Indeed.

1 comment: