Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Face to Face

I'm generally pretty careful about what I click on when I am on a computer, but I took the plunge this morning, based upon the fact that it was linked to a friend I trust. It made me laugh, but really think too. Roger sent me a lesson reminder. 
Take a look

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83896348/


OK...now, what did you think?  As far as I know, other than sending (or mostly forwarding) emails (after multiple forwards because he did not know how to copy and paste) Roger did not use social media. In fact, he found it rather annoying.  "What are you doing on that computer?"  Often I was reading posts while he was tuned in to "World at War" (He knew EVERYTHING about the War in Europe..WWII Allied Forces vs Axis)   But I would put it down when he wanted to talk. He liked eye contact and interacting with people. Even though he lived in a technological world at work, he never really had a use for it. He let others handle it for him (empowering, he called it)  

Nope...texting was rude as far as he was concerned, and he was really not a Mr. Etiquette kind of guy either.  A guest had Thanksgiving with us once, a guest of a daughter, and of all things was TEXTING under the table, DURING DINNER. Faux Pas! Good thing that one was not a 'bring home to meet the parents kind of guest'.... there would have been serious problems on the home front! 

That little clip is funny, but it reminded me of a lesson I can stand to improve upon. I tend to enjoy the people I know and let God bring people into my circle. Roger went outside his circle and welcomed others in. 


Lesson: Meet people where they are...face to face.  Put away the gadgets when you come face to face with a real live person. 


I will try! 



No comments:

Post a Comment