Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Rose Withers

Just short of two weeks ago, the flowers in my life were on a bush, needing pruning actually. Since that time, the house has been filled with the beauty and fragrance of flowers. The house looked like a florist shop!

They ended up at my house last Saturday afternoon, about this time. We learned in 2011, when daddy died,  that Woodlawn removes all flowers about the time that the last car leaves the cemetery. For love...and money, what are they thinking? How hurtful when the family returns later in the afternoon to find a barren grave. So insensitive!  

Someone happened to ask me if they could take flowers to the house and I suppose that I agreed. (I'm not sure what I said on that particular Saturday) Good decision, however!  

I have been distracted all week with re-creating floral arrangements as flowers withered. It reminded me over and over again that the grass withers and the flowers fade, but God's love (and grace and provision....) will be with me forever. 

Emily asked me this morning how long flowers last...a few days, said I. We counted...wow...ours made it a lot longer. I kept moving the roses around and caught most of them before they leaned over. They are bundled and hanging upside down to dry. Lovely. 

This amazing rose covered cross could not dry because the stems were too short, but I had it resting on my countertop, flat, all week. Oh the fragrance, oh the great reminder that Christ not only died so that we might live..eternally...but that He was right beside me in this journey. 

Today was pancake morning with the kiddies. After we had a clean kitchen again, I decided to separate myself from the roses...flowers do fade, you know. Brainstorm...(gotta observe and these things come to you...thanks Jessica Underwood)
Sugar, rose petals, coconut oil......SUGAR SCRUB! 
The rose oils will infuse and before long Roger's girls will have luxurious rose oil sugar scrub! (Jacob too!) 


Lesson....we may think natural things (that means humans too) wither and die and that's it. But we are wrong...the soul lives on...and if you are wise, you'll want yours to live on in Heaven. There's only one way there, according to Christ. ....and that sweet fragrance, oh what it must be in Heaven....and now, I have the sweet fragrance of those who loved Roger, and us...and it will linger! 

Thanks friends!
Sugar Scrub. We can hardly wait to use it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment