Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love and Hugs

What would Roger say? 
Oh, the love. I can not even take in the gifts of self that are being poured out on us. If it is possible for Roger to be mad at me from Heaven (and I personally believe that it is not possible)...then boy am I in big trouble.  Of course we want to celebrate his life and honor his service to community, but the Fire Department is pulling out all stops and for a man who literally wanted no attention drawn to him, ever....well, we could stand to find him a little miffed.
As moments go by, I keep seeing more and more lessons he was teaching us...and lately he had started asking "are ya listening' ?"  He meant Listening, more than Hearing....there is a difference, you know.  This blog is my effort to remember the things he taught, and lived. I know that time passes and things fade. I don't want that to happen. He invested his life in people and it shows. Today, I came to see that while we, his immediate family feel such pain, such grief...there are many around us who are experiencing the same. I also learned that we have the freedom to express that grief... and it is O.K.  Tears of sadness can also be tears of joy. What? How in the world...?  Well, Jesus wept, He experienced loss, but because of Him, our tears will be dried and we have the eternal hope within us....we will be together again one day.    
My mode of coping at the moment is to go ahead and shed the tears, but to quickly think of something to be thankful for. The wetness has not left my face, but the thankfulness fills my heart. 
This morning while we were to meet regarding the order of service, I went too the Cross for a bit. It was calming to just sit at the foot of this 200 foot cross and feel so small, and yet so important to God. I found myself just thanking God for all of the good things in my life because Roger was a part of it. It was so healing and I was able to make it through those tough meetings.  I was able to let go, and allow others to do what was needed to help them with the healing as well. That alone was pretty incredible! 
And then, when I periodically pick up my phone, I see message after message telling me that YOU are praying constantly for me. I just don't even have the words to thank you.....but thank you! 
Do be sure you hug your loved ones today. Things can happen that change your life in an instant. Cherish what you have.
Love and blessings, judi

No comments:

Post a Comment