Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Swing On

Solitude, but not the same.
Roger had simple tastes. He traveled lightly in that he did not hang on to much 'stuff.' Yet, he always seemed to have what he needed should an emergency arise. 

I remember the day his swing fell apart. Oh goodness, it was a bigger stress than anything that had come his way in a long long time. The ONLY swings available at the 'big box stores' were four foot swings. We could NEVER have that! His limb was all set up for a five foot swing. He searched and searched, for weeks, I think, until he found a place on the side of the road that sold sheds, gazebos, and of all things SWINGS! He snapped that five foot baby up so fast that it made my head spin! But, he was a very happy man as soon as he had it attached to his special chains. STRESS RELIEF!  I determined from that day onward that we would always have a swing in the camphor tree, come hail, hurricanes, squirrel chews or even that green stuff that grows in shady places.   

From Roger's swing on the corner, under the tree, he could analyze the world, solve problems big and small, and sit for hours! He cheered on the runners and walkers, chatted with neighbors, reviewed the sports stats with those who cared...and greeted every child that came by. Early morning? Coffee and paper...in the swing. Sunset...enjoying the breeze off the lake. (You could find me out there when it was not too hot, or too cold, or too buggy...as in gnats and skeeters....he always thought I was kind of weak.)  We had good times in that olde swing.  Our children and grandchildren have fond memories of swinging the afternoon away with him. 

We used up the last of the rose petals from the cross (see former post) and various floral arrangements and  sprinkled them on and around Roger's swing. I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually go out and sit a while. Right now, I'm not quite ready. The tears are still too close to the surface. I will want to feel him there and it just won't be the same to just know he was once there. 

Roger and his swing...almost one and the same. But...it was more than a swing....it was about life and people. I guess that was what he was teaching....everything is about people. Chill, relax, don't stress. 

I'll get out there one day.....because it is not too cold now, and not at all buggy, but I will have to do it before it gets too hot.  Besides, he might not know it was me if it I were there in any kind of 'other than perfect' weather.   

Perhaps I had better hurry. 

1 comment: