Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Travel, really?

Southern France on the Mediterranean
It seems completely absurd that I would be getting up this morning and thinking about getting on an airplane with a group of teens and heading to Europe.  No, I am not doing that today, but I am planning that today.  We posted the trip last Friday and by yesterday 15 had already signed up. Travel is good for kids. It is good for everybody. Roger loved to travel, though in the past years he has wanted to stay close to home.  I'll have to ponder that one.   He had many many great trips to Africa (Senegal, Morocco...Atlas Mountains...camel riding.)  We were talking about a trip to Poland and Romania, home of his ancestors...'when he retired'...which I have recently learned was going to be never.
But, for some reason, God placed in a such a location that I could travel with students. And even though retired, the school still lets me do it. Wonderful place, that TMA! I look at it as God's plan and when I step back and look at the big picture of things  - you know, the way God has a view of our lives - I can see that He was preparing me to have things to do without Roger. I don't really like that without part, but I did go and return and weirdly enough this past trip was the one and only time in my adult life, when I went to the airport without him.  He had been on vacation for a month and had his annual physical his first shift back, on the exact date of my departure.
I'll always miss that he took me to the airport - and he was there to greet me when I returned, even though he stepped back and let the parents of all those darling kids say hello first, he stepped out and grabbed my bags!  Man...I am so tearing up right now.

It's the little things. The just being there. The encouragement to spread my wings and fly. Solo, if needs be.  He really was the 'wind beneath my wings.'  

Boy, this old gal is having a tough morning, but just like the rain clears and the sun comes out...when I see those young faces at school and their excitement about travel, I will be in a place where I can thank him for being my encourager.  

Lesson - encourage someone today. Even if you like to be the star on center stage (which he did not like) just step outside of yourself and find someone else who needs to be challenged and encouraged.

Good lesson. Thanks Roger!

1 comment:

  1. Your post is dear. It had me thinking about the many admirable attributes of my own husband. I am willing to bet that it also encouraged other wives besides me to focus better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete